Annoying noise after three weeks.

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
Originally posted this over in A/V Hardware, but thought I'd copy it here for added visability. Any thoughts?

New to this site (and HT), and looking for some help.
Recently bought:
NAD T742 a/v receiver
PSB Image speakers 2 4T's; 2 1B's; 8C; no sub yet - tapped out.
Pioneer 563-A dvd

All was well for 3 weeks, then I noticed an annoying high-pitched tone whenever I played dvd's. This tone is also there even if there is no disc in the player. As soon as I insert a DVD-A into the 563-a, and it starts to track, the noise stops and it plays the disc just fine, (analog signal). The same is true for regular cds and DTS cds, they play fine after they start to track. I haven't tried SACD's yet, but I would imagine they would do the same thing. With dvd-d (movies), the tone is there all the time. If I turn off the digital output through the soft menu of the Pioneer, the noise stops. I hooked up a spare Sony dvd player and it played a movie without the noise. Thinking it must be the Pioneer, I returned it, http://audioclassics.com/ While there the tech hooked it up to a Denon receiver with B&W speakers and a Sony hi-def TV. No noise, played all types of discs fine. I figured it had to be in the NAD, so I got a replacement T742, same problem.

Other troubleshooting I tried - I moved the NAD, Pioneer, and one speaker to another part of the house, away from any possible interference...same noise.
I have used a double shielded digital coax as well as an optical digital cable, with the same results.
While these aren't $100 cables, they are not cheap ones either.

Assuming two NAD receivers probably wouldn't have the exact same problem, what's my next step? Can house power cause something like this? If so, what can I do about it? Any ideas or thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis