jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure how many other Anime lovers there are out there, but I just wanted let all of you know about a GREAT series. It's called GTO, which stands for Great Teacher Onizuka. It's an awesome mix of comedy, drama, and badassness.

That, and if you look in the right place (NOT ebay), you can find the entire series, all 43 episodes, for about $50. That's over 1100 minutes of pure entertainment for not much more than $50. Compare THAT with Cedar Point...

Just as a note, this isn't a show for little kids, despite the fact that it's a cartoon. I'd say that 14 is a minimum because of the sexual jokes, as well as the depth that it has sometimes. PM or email me if you have more questions. I can't recommend it highly enough!

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
"But I've never even been tied to a sex-horse!" :D

I'll admit the show has its moments.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Did you watch it in English dub or in Japanese with English subtitles? The latter is FAR superior. No, I'm not a complete anime nerd, but the voice acting is much better in Japanese.

D

DNelms

Enthusiast
Can't get into the GTO series, however I can get into the Gungrave and Ghost in the Shell DVDs. And who can forget Cowboy Bebop and Trigun?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Indeed. I just ordered the Trigun series (it'd better be here soon :mad: ). Since you're a fan of Bebop (as you SHOULD be, because it's so frickin' good), have you checked out Samurai Champloo? It's a really awesome show by the same director. Very interesting style, mixing new hip-hop stuff with samurai stuff...

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Recently acquired Ghost In The Shell 2. Loooooove It! :cool:

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
I didn't care for GITS:2, I'm not a big fan of 1/2 CG, 1/2 handdrawn. My personal fave's remain: Akira, Jin-Roh legacy of the Wolf, and The Animatrix (yes, i know there are CG parts).

D

DNelms

Enthusiast
jaxvon said:
Indeed. I just ordered the Trigun series (it'd better be here soon :mad: ). Since you're a fan of Bebop (as you SHOULD be, because it's so frickin' good), have you checked out Samurai Champloo? It's a really awesome show by the same director. Very interesting style, mixing new hip-hop stuff with samurai stuff...
Thanks for the recomendation. I will have to check that out. I love a good samurai flick.

Ninja is right, Jin-Roh is pretty good too. Also WXII (Patlabor 4) is pretty good. I lean more towards the movies than the OVAs, but there are some good ones of those too.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
If you're interested, you can download the series fansubbed (Samurai Champloo) on IRC or BitTorrent from Anime Forever. Not sure about the legality of either, but do what you want. The fansubs I have are really very good.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

On the subject of anime, I'd be remiss if I didn't include a plug for Grave of the Fireflies. You wouldn't expect anime to trump live action as a venue for serious drama, but this is perhaps an exception. Certainly one great reason to own a DVD player!

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I dunno, a lot of the anime I've watched is a lot deeper than live-action stuff here. The character development in a lot of series and movies is rivaled only by great books (IMHO).

M

Mega2000

Audioholic
here are some of my favorites anime series...

Gungrave
Hellsing (not van helsing)
Ghost in a Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Samurai Champloo (only seen the 1st 4 episodes and I am hooked)
Heat Guy J <----- a very pleasant surprise, in my top 3 series
Witch Hunter Robin

I thought Ghost in a Shell 2 was awesome, especially the visuals and the surround sound which is usually never good in anime even if they have a surround track.

R

revjb

Enthusiast
My current top choices:

NGEvangelion + movies
Outlaw Star [perfect collection] (except the ending is weak)
Gunslinger Girl
Naruto [now on adult swim AGH]
FullMetal Alchemist
Macross Zero
Jin-roh
PatLabor the Movie 2
Ninja Scroll
Wings of Honneamise
All Miyazaki films (and I mean every single one)

Help me understand... because Ghost in the Shell was a major let-down for me (and not the first Anime let-down, either) and I always feel like the anime stuff I've watched has almost NO character development. Am I watching the wrong movies or am I just not getting it?

I WANT to like Anime - but so far I cannot seem to catch a 'good' one. And my wife has been let down by my poor choices as well - I think I may have one more shot before my wife writes it off.

I want: action, characters I can care about, cool visuals, neat plot elements and creative characters and devices/tools/vehicles

I can do without: 10 minute scenes that state the obvious (as if I'm a moron who has to be told why the police force suddenly has to go somewhere to follow up a lead), naked women/girls, overly stupid sidekicks, movies that suddenly end just when there seems to be a point (i.e. Ghost in the Shell)

R

revjb

Enthusiast
Clint DeBoer said:
Help me understand... because Ghost in the Shell was a major let-down for me (and not the first Anime let-down, either) and I always feel like the anime stuff I've watched has almost NO character development. Am I watching the wrong movies or am I just not getting it?

I WANT to like Anime - but so far I cannot seem to catch a good one. And my wife has been let down by my por choices as well - I think I may have one more shot before we pretty much write it off as a writing style we personally do not enjoy.
Clint,

Ghost in the Shell... wasn't that great. Mamoru Oshii has been revisiting this theme over and over again of machines / technology gaining intelligence, self-awareness, _soul_ if you like for... a long long time. I personally thought that GitS was way too convoluted for people in general -- unlike PatLabor 2 (which I still think is his best film). If you're looking for something that you can really chew on, I would suggest Miyazaki's Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Porco Rosso (underrated). (probably in that order). If you have seen Miyazaki films, I'd like to hear your opinions on why you dislike his material (so to revise my list for you). :)

PS. Reread my above post - I edited.

I'll get some additional feedback and then have everyone vote on the next Anime DVD I should rent to make me into a fan. :)

R

revjb

Enthusiast
I would highly recommend Miyazaki's Laputa: Castle in the Sky... it's got adventure, characters you care about, very very cool flying scenes and technology, fight scenes, hmmm what else? oh yeah -- it's based on Gulliver's Travels. :) It may be for children but it's definitely worth it.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
I'm not sure that anyone will agree with me but I absolutely loved Spirited Away. It's basically an Alice in Wonderland type story and doesn't have the traditional mechs, violence, tentacles, etc. of much anime, but I thought it was fantastic. Just my opinion.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis