Android 2.2 iPad Alternatives

S

stonebridge

Audiophyte
Just released in SZ (China). New iPad clones run Android 2.2 / Windows 7 with "decent" hardware equal to iPad, supporting Flash 10.1 and multitasking.

8" Android 2.2 aPad - 1GHz Cortex A8 Processor - 512MB DDR2

10.1" Windows 7 ePad - 1.66GHz Atom N455 - 2GB DDR3 - 32GB SSD

Any reviews, discussion on those? I have laid my money down and waiting for the courier to show up. Been burnt before and not holding my breath, but as an ebook reader and wifi surfer?

S

SavidSelim

Audioholic Intern
i have used a few android tablets and havent been impressed by any. all that i have seen, from the eken and apad, to the samsung galaxy tab seem rather sluggish. The Sammy was the snappiest but at $500 or so, the much better iPad is within reach. I am not a big fan of the iPad or iOS devices in general, but the android pads just arent up to par yet.

If you want a tab, check out Motion Computing. Their units can be found used (usually leased by a company) on ebay for a very resonable price. Some are equiped with windows 7 and others can be upgraded. They use pretty common RAM so speeding them up is a snap. Some even have an ethernet NIC. It is IMHO opinion what a tab should be.... a computer.

good luck.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Hardware maybe ready or now, Samsung Tab certanately is a good example of proper designed hardware, however hardware isn't is number 1 problem - remember what Apple did to make iPad really shine - Ask EVERYONE to re-write their apps for much bigger screen, while true all old iphone apps working "ok" scaled on the iPad, it's not the same.
I strongly believe Google will have no choice, but follow same route. Google android isn't just ready for prime time yet. Unfortunately :(

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
The only Android tablet that I've played with suffered from doggy hardware, a poor screen, and Android 1.6. I'd wait for the new crop running Android 3.0 which is said to be a pure tablet flavor of Android that's on the horizon.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I like to see how RIM's playpad will measure up to the ipad and the other competitors

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I have an iPad and I bought my nephew an Archos 101 for Christmas which I just received. The iPad is more polished and has better apps, but the Archos offers much more functionality like webcam, UPNP, Tethering, MicroSD expansion, HDMI. Choose your poison.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I'd wait for Android 3.0 tablets as well. That's where things should hopefully start to get better. I haven't personally tried any Android tablets but I'm definitely "in the market" for one.

Not sure when 3.0 will actually be rolling out but Google needs to hurry it up but it also has to be done right. I'm waiting.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Hardware maybe ready or now, Samsung Tab certanately is a good example of proper designed hardware, however hardware isn't is number 1 problem - remember what Apple did to make iPad really shine - Ask EVERYONE to re-write their apps for much bigger screen, while true all old iphone apps working "ok" scaled on the iPad, it's not the same.
I strongly believe Google will have no choice, but follow same route. Google android isn't just ready for prime time yet. Unfortunately :(
I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab on T-Mobile.
Absolutely love it and use it on a constant basis. Very responsive screen, fast processing even with multiple apps running. Cameras are somewhat lacking, but still solid overall. HDMI, 1080p and 5.1 encoded output is a nice feature, but fairly useless.
I mostly use for scheduling, email com with clients from all 3 businesses, and music player source in the studio. Battery life is solid, but not what you get in the iPad, but of course, it's half the size, so less battery to work with.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
The nice thing about all these devices is you can also run them as HT remotes...

There are network linked TCP/IP IR controllers...

http://www.globalcache.com/products/

There are others out there, but its nice to see this type of stuff coming around

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis