Amplifier for turntable?

Alex Bourke

Alex Bourke

Enthusiast
I thought I was okay with different electrical parts and equipment but..... obviously I am not.

I have just got back into my love of vinyl and obtained a turntable and picked up a pair of speakers too.

Now I thought I needed an integrated amplifier for the phono leads but after reading a few treads I am not sure if other options are open to me.

In time I will pick up better equipment for sound but budget is a bigger factor just now. I was ONLY looking at integrated amps, I don't need to play the sound loud so I just am not sure now.

I am sure there is a very, very simple answer. I would like something smallish (width), cos integrated ones still look wide. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance. Alex

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Not sure I get the question. Are you asking about an option other than an integrated amp that you can use with the turntable that is not so big? If so, there were a few manufacturers who made mini-components back in the day that where about half the size of regular components - integrated amps, tuners, CD players etc.

Or are you just looking for something smaller than a integrated amp to act as a phono preamp? If so there are outboard preamps available, as long as you have a system of some kind to plug them into. A preamp doesn't work all by itself.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Alex Bourke

Alex Bourke

Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply.

I just need something to boost the sound from the turntable. I have the turntable and the speakers.

I WAS looking only at integrated amps before.

Now I don't think a pre-amp will work on it's own? I know a receiver would work but not interested in the radio part.

So would it only be integrated amps I should look at or is there something else? Thanks.

selden

selden

Audioholic
Receivers tend to be less expensive than comparable integrated amps just because of the economies of scale of large scale manufacturing. Far more people buy audio equipment to provide surround-sound for their TVs than buy amps for phonograph turntables. The cost of a receiver's radio tuner is miniscule when compared to everything else that it provides, including room EQ. If you don't like a feature, you don't have to use it.

Don't forget that speakers and room acoustics have the most effect on the quality of the sound you'll hear. Electronics are a distant third, although the automated room EQ provided by many modern receivers can compensate for some of the infelicities in the listening environment.

Alex Bourke

Alex Bourke

Enthusiast
Thanks Selden.

So in a nutshell, buying a AV receiver would be cheaper than just an integrated amp on its own & either an integrated or a receiver WOULD work just for the turntable? Thank you.

ps. Knocking a wall down just now isn't on the cards but I will try and get those speakers in a good position, hehe.

Alex Bourke

Alex Bourke

Enthusiast
No preamp I'm afraid. Just on a small budget just now to get my feet wet again, up to £70 (UK).

I just didn't know if I had to have an integrated or just preamp or now I know a receiver works.

If was just for the turntable nothing else.

Alex Bourke

Alex Bourke

Enthusiast
Okay just bought an amp off ebay. Okay not the best place to buy one but picked up a Technics SU-V1X in black for under £50. It's been tested but doesn't come with a power cable. It's an "8" jack, but what amp fuse should be in the plug. I am assuming it should be 3amp fuse but can someone confirm this. Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Okay just bought an amp off ebay. Okay not the best place to buy one but picked up a Technics SU-V1X in black for under £50. It's been tested but doesn't come with a power cable. It's an "8" jack, but what amp fuse should be in the plug. I am assuming it should be 3amp fuse but can someone confirm this. Thanks.
This is a US sight and members will not realize that the UK MK plugs AC plugs are fused. Yes, a 3 amp fuse should be fine. The AC connector on the back is of a type common in Europe and does resemble an 8 somewhat.

Alex Bourke

Alex Bourke

Enthusiast
TLS thanks for the reply. I understood it was a US website but before I posted anything everyone seemed so well informed. Thanks again for everyones help here!!! ;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
What is the make and model of the turntable? What do you currently use as amplification? The AVR route used to be a cheaper route than an integrated amp if you intend to use their on board phono stage. Most AVRs that include phono stages tend to be in the upper midrange to high end of the price class which puts them in the price range of an integrated amp. However, if you are going to buy a seperate phono amp, you should be able to pick up a good AVR for much less.

Alex Bourke

Alex Bourke

Enthusiast
I picked up an Gemini PT-2000 III on Gumtree for £20 or $30. It plays great. I don't need it for DJing but it's a good turntable for starting off, especially for the price. I am hoping the Technics SU-V1X (Black) will be a good start amp too. Fingers crossed :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis