Amplifier for Atmos/height Speakers

P

Pillo

Audiophyte
Good evening to all, hope you all had a great weekend.
I just bough 4 Monitor Audio Apex 10 as my height/atmos speakers. Now I am need of a amplifier to power them.How much power do I need for these to give me good sound quality and which amp will you guys recommend.
Will an Emotiva Basx A500 at 90 watts per channel be sufficient to run these speakers or do I need some thing with more power?

Hope to hear your advice

Fernando

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Good evening to all, hope you all had a great weekend.
I just bough 4 Monitor Audio Apex 10 as my height/atmos speakers. Now I am need of a amplifier to power them.How much power do I need for these to give me good sound quality and which amp will you guys recommend.
Will an Emotiva Basx A500 at 90 watts per channel be sufficient to run these speakers or do I need some thing with more power?

Hope to hear your advice

Fernando
90 watts is more than enough to run those speakers.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Somewhat depends on your distance from the speakers....try using this http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html to help crunch the numbers. Some prefer to put the mains on a power amp, if you haven't already, and just let the avr run the surrounds....what's all the gear involved?
Normally, surround and Atmos speakers use a lot less power than that required by the three front channels. It's very unlikely that they would need more than 25-30 watts peak to produce enough SPL in most home listening rooms.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Normally, surround and Atmos speakers use a lot less power than that required by the three front channels. It's very unlikely that they would need more than 25-30 watts peak to produce enough SPL in most home listening rooms.
Yep, agree....maybe with all channel stereo settings some like to use it can be an issue nor do I know the OP's distance/spl requirements so just thought I'd throw the calculator for use....but compared to peaks on mains with most surround content it'd be at least 3dB if not 6dB lower consistently for surrounds....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Yep, agree....maybe with all channel stereo settings some like to use it can be an issue nor do I know the OP's distance/spl requirements so just thought I'd throw the calculator for use....but compared to peaks on mains with most surround content it'd be at least 3dB if not 6dB lower consistently for surrounds....
You know as well as me that the All channel Stereo setting is a stupid arrangement if someone wants to use it with a big crowd.

P

Pillo

Audiophyte
The height/atmos speakers will be above me or 1-2 feet away.

my othere gear is as follows.

L/C/R are Monitor Audio Silver 300V6. They are being powered by a Sunfire Signature Series 5 x 400 watts per channel all driven

4 surrounds - are Monitor Audio Bronz 100 powered by a Sunfire Theater Grand 5 x 200 watts per channel all driven

the receiver is aYamaha CX-A 5100

then the 4 atmos/height speaker whuch are the Monitor Audio Apex 10

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds by your other gear you just might be happier with a more powerful amp :) But probably fine at those distances with what you propose for those channels. You don't have a receiver, you have a pre-pro (a receiver has it's own amps for speakers). Sounds like a capable system!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis