Amp to pair with Denon X4500H / X3600H?

I

Isak Öhrlund

Junior Audioholic
Hi,
I'm planning to upgrade my receiver to the Denon X4500H or the X3600H in order to run a 5.1.4 setup, or possibly a 7.1.4 setup if possible. I'd love to go full on 7.1.4 in theory, but I do not yet know if that is something I want to do in practice, because I am not sure what it will cost me, and if I can fit the extra amplifier.

That is, I have not used an external amplifier before, so simply do not know what I am looking for. I've watched the Audioholics video on the x3600h, where Gene mentioned that the Amp had to be able to provide full power with a certain voltage, and that there are fairly cheap alternatives out there. So what are these alternatives? For this to work for me, it has to be fairly cheap and small in size, and available for purchase in Sweden. I'm willing to buy second hand as well. It will be used to power a pair of Dali Zensor 5 (fronts),or Zensor pico (surrounds) if that is is better idea(?).

Thanks for your advice!

Last edited:
L

Leemix

Audioholic General
If you get something cheap use it for rear surrounds or atmos, that works fine.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi,
I'm planning to upgrade my receiver to the Denon X4500H or the X3600H in order to run a 5.1.4 setup, or possibly a 7.1.4 setup if possible. I'd love to go full on 7.1.4 in theory, but I do not yet know if that is something I want to do in practice, because I am not sure what it will cost me, and if I can fit the extra amplifier.

That is, I have not used an external amplifier before, so simply do not know what I am looking for. I've watched the Audioholics video on the x3600h, where Gene mentioned that the Amp had to be able to provide full power with a certain voltage, and that there are fairly cheap alternatives out there. So what are these alternatives? For this to work for me, it has to be fairly cheap and small in size, and available for purchase in Sweden. I'm willing to buy second hand as well. It will be used to power a pair of Dali Zensor 5 (fronts),or Zensor pico (surrounds) if that is is better idea(?).

Thanks for your advice!
How much power do you need? That's the first thing you need to figure out if you don't already know. If say you only need 100 W peak (that's a lot) then just grab a used Marantz MM8003, 8077, or even the 7055 and use the internal amps to drive the less demanding surround speakers.

I

Isak Öhrlund

Junior Audioholic
Not sure. Here are the Dali Zensor 5 specifications: https://www.dali-speakers.com/loudspeakers/zensor/zensor-5/

They're used in a fairly large living room, sitting 2,5-3,5 meters away.

The Marantz you suggest are way too big and expensive. The total cost of the system (x4500h + 2 channel amp) must be much lower than a Denon x6500h and not take up that much more space for it to make sense to me to go the extra mile of a 7.1.4 setup. I have no intention to go separates.

What about something like the NAD 3020, can that be used for this purpose?

M

mach250

Audioholic Intern
I was looking at getting this guy if I went with a receiver that needed an external amp for the last two channels of an 11 system. It would just power two of the atmos speakers.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Since your in Sweden I would be looking at 2 channel amps with Hypex amp boards like Nord, Apollon, Rouge audio, Audiophonics. The Hypex nc500mp dual mono is what I was looking at for my speakers with similar specs.

B

buz914

Audiophyte
The 3600h is a great receiver for the $$. Get the Outlaw Audio 3x 2200 Black Friday deal for the LCR and let the Rx power the surrounds and the atmos.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The Hypex nc500mp dual mono is what I was looking at for my speakers with similar specs.
If your speakers have a rating similar to an amplifier, it does not mean that they need that much power to operate adequately. Far from that, their rated power is the maximum power they will be able to handle for power peaks for a very short period of time, beyond which they will be damaged. Actually, a power amplifier rated at 200 watts should be amply sufficient to get your speakers playing to loud levels, unless you have a large listening room and your listening position exceeds 12 feet. In this last situation, you should consider getting more sensitive speakers which will give you the high SPL, but in any case be careful not to damage your hearing.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Didn't realize you are from Sweden. Wow your so close to Hegel, you should go and check out their products. Top, top notch.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
At 8 ohms its a hair over 200 watts at .002. I don’t think it will be that much over powered. My Denon x3400 is using all channels getting a Hypex amp for $1000 when ati version is $2000 using a similar Hypex module is a good buy. I thought about the Ncore nc400 but it’s more money. My room is 24x13x8-11 foot cathedral ceiling which opens to the kitchen on the right side with a 10 foot opening and the Lp 10 feet.

I

Isak Öhrlund

Junior Audioholic
Thank you all for your advice. Unfortunately it's difficult to find those products where I live, but I think I have found a great alternative: XTZ edge A2-300. Small dimensions, reasonable price at about 400$ and enough power over two channels to power my fronts, https://www.xtz.se/product/edge-a2-300

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis