GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
What amp would you recommend running a 5.2.4 with Bowers and Wilkins 603 front, HTM6 center, CM684 rear height, Klipsch R-41SA front height and Bose 601 rear surround? My next project is to replace the Bose with either bookshelf or floor standers. I'm running a Marantz SR7013 and it sounds great but want more power to drive the front 2 for stereo listening. Adding a second sub was a game changer. My walls don't rattle it's like now they move! One issue I've encountered is most amps are 17" wide and I don't have anywhere to mount in my cabinet so not sure where to put an amp. I've looked at mono blocks but buying 2 would be expensive. I'm hoping to stay in or around a $500 to $700 budget.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Many amps would work....good value can be found in Crown XLS amps or the Outlaw Audio 2220s off the top of my head. If you do go separate amp I'd at least double your avr's rating....maybe triple.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
Many amps would work....good value can be found in Crown XLS amps or the Outlaw Audio 2220s off the top of my head. If you do go separate amp I'd at least double your avr's rating....maybe triple.
So if the AVR is rated at 125w per channel 2 channels driven you would recommend 250w to 375w per channel? Doesn't the power rating of the speaker come in to the equation? With the Crown XLS I'm assuming you would have to use an XLR to RCA cable. Crown is typically known for running PA equipment so how safe is it to use with a HT system?

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
I've looked a these and really want them. Issue is the width being at 17" wide would make placement difficult.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So if the AVR is rated at 125w per channel 2 channels driven you would recommend 250w to 375w per channel? Doesn't the power rating of the speaker come in to the equation? With the Crown XLS I'm assuming you would have to use an XLR to RCA cable. Crown is typically known for running PA equipment so how safe is it to use with a HT system?
Considering it's only 3dB spl for each doubling of power, if you're going to increase power go for a significant increase is what I'm saying. Speaker wattage max rating is generally easy to avoid problems with by simple use of the volume control....most speakers won't sound good at max level anyways. Now if there's someone in the house that simply likes to turn it up to 11....that could be another issue (you can always set your avr with a max volume limit too if you have potential for abuse). More headroom for peaks/transients would be another way to think about having more power, and an external amp would likely handle lower impedances better (the XLS are good for use at 2 ohm).

The XLS series is consumer friendly, has XLR, 1/4" as well as rca inputs. No audible fan noise issues I've ever had (nor most comments you'll find on these). They're not the prettiest things, tho the new gen 2 (the xx02 vs xx00 models) is a bit better looking I think. I've used them for quite a few years, both for mains as well as sub duties. Good value/performance. Do they have the lowest SINAD/THD? No but not an issue either. With really sensitive speakers you might get some amp hiss (with my 92dB speakers not at all an issue but I did chat with one guy with 109dB speakers and while he had no audio quality issues generally, he had a very quiet room and couldn't handle the hiss....he even had issues with a Marantz pre-pro IIRC with some noise issues, don't remember what he opted for....ended up going with the Benchmark amp I remember, tho).

ps Have you tried using an spl calculator to estimate your needs? Sorry about the size thing, the XLS are normal width but shallow if that helps....you could mount them away from your rack, too.

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
Stop finding excuses and find a way. :)
I'm trying to work smart not work hard. : ) There is a way I've looked at but if I were going to do that I think I would settle for a 2 channel amp. Is using external amplification a good move/investment?

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
Considering it's only 3dB spl for each doubling of power, if you're going to increase power go for a significant increase is what I'm saying. Speaker wattage max rating is generally easy to avoid problems with by simple use of the volume control....most speakers won't sound good at max level anyways. Now if there's someone in the house that simply likes to turn it up to 11....that could be another issue (you can always set your avr with a max volume limit too if you have potential for abuse). More headroom for peaks/transients would be another way to think about having more power, and an external amp would likely handle lower impedances better (the XLS are good for use at 2 ohm).

The XLS series is consumer friendly, has XLR, 1/4" as well as rca inputs. No audible fan noise issues I've ever had (nor most comments you'll find on these). They're not the prettiest things, tho the new gen 2 (the xx02 vs xx00 models) is a bit better looking I think. I've used them for quite a few years, both for mains as well as sub duties. Good value/performance. Do they have the lowest SINAD/THD? No but not an issue either. With really sensitive speakers you might get some amp hiss (with my 92dB speakers not at all an issue but I did chat with one guy with 109dB speakers and while he had no audio quality issues generally, he had a very quiet room and couldn't handle the hiss....he even had issues with a Marantz pre-pro IIRC with some noise issues, don't remember what he opted for....ended up going with the Benchmark amp I remember, tho).

ps Have you tried using an spl calculator to estimate your needs? Sorry about the size thing, the XLS are normal width but shallow if that helps....you could mount them away from your rack, too.
Great info. I was looking at a CROWN XLS 402 on EBAY for $119.00 plus 79.00 shipping. I have some EBAY points I need to use before the end of the month. This unit does not have the RCA inputs. Will using XLR to RCA cause any issues?

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
JMO no it's not a good investment based on your receiver and speakers. The 7013 has plenty of juice and good amp section
When playing 2 channel the speakers sound great but when "cranked up" they sound a little "thin". I've thought maybe I need to change more settings in the receiver when listing to 2 channel playback.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Great info. I was looking at a CROWN XLS 402 on EBAY for $119.00 plus 79.00 shipping. I have some EBAY points I need to use before the end of the month. This unit does not have the RCA inputs. Will using XLR to RCA cause any issues?
Different series of XLS, my comments are regarding the current XLS Drive-Core amps (current models are 1002, 1502, 2002, 2502). Don't know much about the other one....I'll take a look later. You need rca to xlr, and the direction and construction of the cable in terms of the shield can play a role. You might find this thread a good read https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/making-my-own-rca-xlr-cables.18195/

p.s. Looks good (the 402) but I'd wonder about fan noise level, so you might search around for comments on that....they may not be consumer friendly as the drive-core series.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis