Amp/receiver connection

T

thecount

Audiophyte
Hi all

I have receiver that I'm using to power a pair of passive speakers, however I don't think it powers them to their full potential. I was wondering if I could insert a small amplifier into the chain thusly: source--->amp--->receiver--->speakers.

Ultimately I plan on also introducing a sub into the mix so the receiver would be sending signals to the sub (subwoofer out) and speakers separately.

With that being said, would the signal somehow be distorted going from the amp to the receiver? And is this even advisable in the first place?

Thanks

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You can't do it the way you describe without gross distortion and possible damage to your receiver.

The only amp that will improve your power to the speakers is the one connected directly to your speakers. That means bypassing the power amp in your speakers.

Some receivers allow this. The only way you can insert a power amp here is if your receiver has preamp outputs.

Without knowing what receiver you have, there's not much more we can help you with.

Last edited:
T

thecount

Audiophyte
Unfortunately my receiver doesn't have preamp outputs; it's a Sony STR-K 4800P that I bought for 20 bucks at a yearly Salvation Army sale in my area. If more expensive/higher end equipment were an option right now I'd have it but until that time come I'm making due with what I've got.

Honestly the receiver does a decent job powering the speakers and once I get the remaining components for the sub the system should be passable and probably incredible to the average person but not optimal like I'd like it.Nevertheless, thanks for the answer.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I've got one of these line drivers and it works very well to boost pre-amp signal. It's especially useful when restoring signal lost from using splitters -- splitting a mono LFE channel out into dual subs, for example. Beware that if you attempt to boost to a level that exceeds the input voltage expected by your receiver, you'll have the problems markw described. At moderate levels, though, it provides a clean sounding boost. I don't use mine any more since I got my MiniDSP, but I still hang onto it because it's a nice gadget and I might need it for something someday.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis