N

Npride

Enthusiast
Hello

I currently have a Marantz SR7011 and just added a Monolith 7 amp. I’m running a 7.4, with the 7 speakers connected to the Amp).The reason I got the amp was I felt like my Klipsch towers were not being pushed. I was able to turn up my receiver to the max (80) without it hurting my ears or over doing it. I thought once I hooked up the amp, being able to get near that volume level would not be possible. Now I am wondering if the amp it working correctly, or are my expectations unrealistic. Any thought please?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
At what spl is 80 on your receiver? Seems like you should have lost hearing or blown something, without the external amp. A lot more info would be needed to see what's up, but it doesnt take much for Klipsch speakers to get very loud.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you calibrated the volume (with Audyssey or manually) then the volume of 80 would be the same with either the internal or external amps. You may have an odd idea on how an amp works....and the advantage is likely only 3dB or so with the new amp. The speakers are relatively sensitive so unlikely you needed the power amp if you could turn up to 80 with no issues with the avr alone.

N

Npride

Enthusiast
Hello

I added 4 height speakers (SVS elevations) for Atmos, so I needed the amp anyway since my Marantz could only support 9 channels. Overall the system sounds good, but just thought it would be louder. Maybe I should test with and without the amp to see if there are differences. Thanks for responding.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You gain 3dB of spl with each doubling of power. You might be able to turn it up a bit louder than before, but am a bit confused why the max volume is 80 in an avr with volume scale (absolute) of 0 to 98 or (relative) -79.5dB to +18dB.....do you have the volume limiter set to 80? (page 191 in your manual)

N

Npride

Enthusiast
Hello
I just checked and my volume was set at max, I just changed to no limit. Another issue, I’m hearing a buzzing sound through my speakers. It goes away when the amp is turned off. Any advice on this issue?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Could be a ground loop hum. Can you hear it no matter what the volume setting? Does it increase when the volume is turned up? Is it a low pitch or a higher pitch? More of a hum or hiss?

N

Npride

Enthusiast
Hello

The buzzing is steady with high or low volume. I have it plugged into my filter vs the wall. Any suggestions to make it stop?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hello

The buzzing is steady with high or low volume. I have it plugged into my filter vs the wall. Any suggestions to make it stop?
Try the wall. I wouldnt run any amp thru a filter or regulator.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
By filter you mean one of those power conditioner things?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis