Am I really that far off base?

J

jwong

Audiophyte
Hello. I've recently purchased a HK AVR-335 A/V receiver (http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?prod=AVR 335).

Naturally I want to run all of my video and audio through this. I have it connected to my TV via s-video. And I successfully got my DVD to connect using s-video and digital audio. All's good there.

My problem is with the VCR. I have it connected to the receiver using the 3 standard RCA (audio left/right and yellow video) cables. I don't have s-video on my vcr. So I switch the source of the receiver to Video 1 (where I've plugged in the composite cables)... When I put a video in and play it, I hear the sound... but no video. I've cycled the Video 1 settings through the myriad of options on the receiver, but to no avail.

Secondary issue: I also have the coax cable running from the wall directly to the VCR. I have no satellite or digital cable box, just from the wall to my vcr. (I don't use the coax "out" on the VCR, I depend on the RCA cables mentioned in the previous paragraph.) Like the VHS tape, I hear the sound, but no video. I'm sure it's the same symptom as the previous paragraph, but just wanted to mention this.

Any thoughts please?

Regards,

-james-

sdy284

sdy284

Audioholic
simple, your reciever can't upconvert composite to Svideo, run the composite monitor out from your reciever to your tv

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can get an adapter to conver the VCR to svideo I believe. Your signal won't improve, but you will be able to use the receiver for switching then. Receivers that do not do video transcoding will sometimes disable the other types of video inputs based on the type of output you are using from the receiver to display. Check your manual, this is a recent receiver and I would expect it to be capable of transcoding.

If you have enough inputs on your TV, it's generally better to just connect directly to it.

J

jwong

Audiophyte
Thank you for the quick responses.

Interesting... If I run the video directly from the vcr to the TV, won't I have to manually switch the TV when I want to switch from, say, DVD to VCR? The reason I want to run the vcr video through the receiver is to minimize complications (so there's just one button -- the receiver's "source" -- for the wife).

My TV has two rows of RCA "in's" that I could use. But why is it "generally better to just connect directly to it?"

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The receiver can (not likely) add some unwanted distortion to the image.

You are correct in both what you want to do and what will actually happen.

You expected that because the receiver passes s-video through it and composite video that it would transcode (convert) from composite (yellow cable) to s-video.

That was an incorrect assumption, and while some receivers do this, unless it specifically advertised, it is not a 'standard' feature.

So, you can run your video from your DVD player via composite instead and then have everything connected via composite video if you want things to be simple for your family. Or, you can get a composite to s-video adapter from Parts Express or perhaps Radio Shack for under 20 bucks which will convert the vcr output to s-video. It won't improve the quality of the image from the vcr though.

A better option in my opinion would be to get a Harmony universal remote control and spend a few hours programming it online. This will allow your family one touch control of the television. The remote will switch the TV and the A/V receiver to the correct inputs automatically and will also correctly give you remote control over the device that is currently selected.

Then, just hook your VCR up to your receiver (or TV) and hook the DVD player up to the receiver (or TV) and use one remote to do all the extra thinking so you don't have to explain it over and over again to friends.

My remote has a button that says 'CABLE' - press it, and you are watching cable. It has another button that says 'DVD' - guess what happens when you press that?

Cuz' I have a cool remote it also has a button that says: Current mode: PLASMA Switch to projector? When you press that button, the plasma turns off, the screen drops out of the ceiling, and the button changes and says: Current mode: PROJECTOR Switch to plasma?

Don't overly concern yourself with the connections. Do concern yourself with getting a decent universal remote.

A

agabriel

Junior Audioholic
I don't think you really want to use S video or composite if you can avoid it. S Video and composite don't have the bandwidth that component video have. As a result some video will not be clear with that medium. You would be much better off, in my opinion, running component video directly to the TV if your receiver can't switch it (just looked up yours and it can switch it). If you pick up a calibration DVD it should have a few test patterns that show the difference in a form that is easily seen (or at least my cal DVD does).

Good luck -
Anthony

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
agabriel said:
I don't think you really want to use S video or composite if you can avoid it. S Video and composite don't have the bandwidth that component video have. As a result some video will not be clear with that medium. You would be much better off, in my opinion, running component video directly to the TV if your receiver can't switch it (just looked up yours and it can switch it). If you pick up a calibration DVD it should have a few test patterns that show the difference in a form that is easily seen (or at least my cal DVD does).

Good luck -
Anthony
Anthony - I would have to say the correct question would be...

Why aren't you using component video? Does your TV not have component video inputs?

Since component was never mentioned I assumed (bad me) that he does not have a television with component video inputs.

Keep in mind that regular VCRs don't have component out anyway and it won't solve his problem.

J

jwong

Audiophyte
Yeah, unfortunately I don't have component inputs into my TV. I'm building a new system starting with the receiver. Everything else needs to be upgraded when I have the money.

That Harmony remote is very intriguing. I'd have to sell my receiver though in order to buy the remote. :)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have a clear path forward now!

-james-

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Logitech makes a full line up of Harmony remotes and there is supposed to be a $100.00 model out or being released soon. Maybe a good Christmas gift for you... or her.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis