Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>It seems to me, that to get this badge, the amp has to be able to drive at least a 5.1 system at a 4ohm load. If it can't do this, no badge.

Is this why H/K has no THX certification?
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Wabbit_Swayer

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000F22'>Perhaps.  But I know that it does cost to have that badge. so in the end, the reciever costs more. And IMO not always for a benefit.</font>

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I think you ask in jest, but there are a slew of receivers capable of a 4 ohm load bearing no THX logo. It's somewhat of a prestige thing, that adds its decoding capabilities, which aren't always appreciated as you'll see surfing around this forum.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>The little THX logo on some units is mostly used for marketing purposes. &nbsp;I do not beleive that THX certification requires stable 4ohm load capabilities at a given spl level. &nbsp;I used to think that certain spl levels for a certain amount of cubic feet was required (Ultra vs. Select), but I don't pay much attention to this sort of thing. &nbsp;Most receivers can drive 4ohm speakers, but at what spl level(s), for how long, and will product lifespan suffer???

best,

</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pam

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi

I went to THX site and they have no information on the criteria ti meet to get the certification.

It says something about the fact that they don't publish their specifications..
Some professionals of the film industry (click on the second link) are saying that it is only marketing. A few of them seems to like it.

I also got this site but they can not explain the THX certification criteria. May be if you search at the patent office but you will need to do a lot of digging.

Anyway, it may have some value but I would guess that all high quality equipment could get THX certification if they want. So it has only meaning for cheap equipment.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>I found the 4ohm information on a website while searching for my new amp. I can't seem to find it now. I did find this information on the thx website.

THX Select and Ultra2 Certified Products offer these qualities
Qualities Faithful sound reproduction.
Re-EqualizationTM removes the edgy &quot;brightness&quot; of cinema sound, accurately adapting movie sound for home playback.
Timbre MatchingTM ensures a tonal match between front and surround speakers for smooth sound movement.

Surround-sound spaciousness.
Adaptive DecorrelationTM manages Mono Surround signals for a true stereo feel.

Wide dynamic range with massive, distortion-free bass.
Bass ManagementTM sends bass to subwoofers, delivering cinema-quality bass and allowing for smaller, easier-to-place speakers
Bass Peak Level ManagerTM protects subwoofers from overload, ensuring trouble-free delivery of bass-heavy soundtracks.

Optimum listening throughout the room.
Loudspeaker Position Time SynchronizationTM lets you set up your system for optimal &quot;sweet-spot&quot; listening anywhere in large or space-constrained rooms.

Quick and easy set-up.
Guaranteed swift and seamless setup across all THX brands and components.

THX Select Certified Products
Sound Level Very loud
Speakers play 105db in 2000 cu ft
Subwoofers flat to 35Hx

THX Ultra2 Certified Products
Extremely loud
Speakers play 105db in 3000 cu ft
Subwoofers flat to 20Hz

There is also THX ultra. It should fall somewhere BTW the two.
Also, if you go to their website &amp; search for amps &amp; receivers, you will find a great deal of the very best brands available! Far from cheap!</font>

R

Railwayman

Audiophyte
THX ultra 2

I own a Pioneer Elite vsx 49 txi, it's THX ultra 2 certified it recommends driving speakers with a nominal impedance rated 6 ohm to 16 ohm.

R

Ross

Junior Audioholic
THX used to have more of a place in the A/V world back when Dolby pro-Logic was the dominant (and only) format. Surround sound was more of an exclusive and specialized hobby that much fewer were involved in. At that time, it was complex and very complicated for the average user. Certain standards (ie. THX) were implemented in attempt to stabilize and regulate the industry, to give it some guidelines and direction. Back when pro-logic reigned supreme, I beleive THX did serve a purpose. However, with discrete channel decoding and highly cabable speakers out there, THX is not such the necessity it once was. At this point, it is at best another DSP format and/or marketing tool.

I beleive the new yamahas have THX decoding in them simply as an addition to a vast suite of options and parameters for the user. Basically they tried to jam pack it with as many bells and whistles as possible (marketing also). At these price points, the units all pretty much sound the same anyway. It is features, reliability, and image that set them apart.

best,

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
THX is a certification process that attempts to bring a THX certified theater sound to the average listening room. I have been in such THX theaters. Nice sound. But Hi-Fi is far far above THX quality. I often wonder why anyone would want crappy theater sound in their living room. THX or not.

A THX-certified receiver won't deliver THX theater sound. Unless you also have a set of THX certified speakers. And they are often mid-price line-up in a brand. Not their reference series. Is there a THX logo on the B&W Nautilus? Or on a Coincident Triumph? On a Sonus Faber Cremona? Nope, those THX logos can be found on some 5.1 satellite systems and entry-mid level speakers.

A THX-certified receiver using THX certifed speakers is also suspect in delivering THX-theater sound. Unless you have a THX-certifed room accoustics. For that, you have to invite Lucas engineers to do the testing and certification on your HT room.

For me, Hi-fi is all that matters when reproducing sound. Whether for music or for sound effects. A good set-up for music is always good for HT. (Not the other way around.) Just add the same quality of channels and speakers. None of those THX hype that makes a gear unnecessarily more expensive than without.

annunaki

annunaki

I will agree with av_phile on this. If a system can faithfully reproduce music, with no qualms, it should have absolutely no problems with movies. Music is much more demanding. If movies were more demanding, do you think we would have seen such an explosion of cheap, $1 a piece per driver at cost, sub sat systems? I do not think so. I also think that we would have much more powerful receivers and amplifiers as well. At least for what is mass marketed anyway.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
My understaniding of this issue is far from complete but I agree with most of the sentiments here. Part of the problem with THX is that they mandate crossover frequencies and slopes which do not take into consideration the speakers and especially the subwoofer one may have. I believe they mandate a 100Hz crossover and a second order slope. This would very poorly accomodate my system as well as anyone else with time and phase correct speakers amongst others. They also mandate SPL levels of output which are dangerously close to causing permanent hearing damage.

My advice to anyone is that if you are buying a very inexpensive system THX MAY indicate a certain minimum level of performance but if you are significantly beyond HT in a box the system will perform well even without the THX $eal of approval

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis