Alternatives to KEF LS50 Wireless (version 1)

A

audioman123

Audiophyte
Hi folks,

I wonder if anyone has some suggestions on alternatives to a set of KEF LS50 Wireless version 1 (active) speakers.

I currently use these active speakers as my computer speakers. (I simply connect them to my computer via USB.)

I bought them, new, in March 2020, and they have served me well for circa 1 year and 10 months.

Sadly, however, they have recently failed twice in the space of one month.

Getting them sent off to be repaired (again) is a hassle I can do without, and I am now looking at alternatives.

Looking forwards, my current first choice is to simply replace them with a set of KEF LS50 Wireless II's, which I believe are significantly updated from the version 1's. My thinking is that perhaps they may be more reliable.

Maximum budget is £2000, and I'm happy to come in below that.

Any alternative suggestions are very much appreciated.

Last edited:
A

audioman123

Audiophyte
Hi there,

Many thanks for those suggestions -- very much appreciated.

Bit of a newbie question here, but could you give some advice on how I'd actually connect either of those to my computer?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Hi there,

Many thanks for those suggestions -- very much appreciated.

Bit of a newbie question here, but could you give some advice on how I'd actually connect either of those to my computer?
Both of those have unbalanced RCA inputs as well as balanced XLR and TRS inputs. For good quality audio you do not want to use the 1/8" audio out (headphone) jack on the computer as most computer DACs are not very good quality. You would want a nice external DAC with RCA or XLR out and connect the DAC to the computer via USB, SPDIF or optical out, depending on what the DAC and computer support. There are all sorts of options for external DACs but given that these speakers are much cheaper than the KEFs a DAC would easily fit in the budget.

There are also powered speakers available with digital inputs (built in DACs) that could connect directly to your computer. Some other forum members will hopefully jump in and make some recommendations. At 2000 pounds you could consider Genelec which make some great near field speakers and we do have members using those as well. If you are not using a subwoofer you might want to consider adding a small sub as well.

A

audioman123

Audiophyte
Many thanks for that advice Eppie -- very much appreciated.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
This would probably be right near the top of your budget or possibly higher but I am unfamiliar with what pricing is like in your area. Try looking into a pair of Neumann KH80 plus a KH750DSP.

A

audioman123

Audiophyte
Thanks for those suggestions its phillip -- very much appreciated.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis