Alphabet soup--HDML, Component, DVI

L

LoyalLion

Audiophyte
Alphabet soup--HDMI, Component, DVI

I just bought a plasma screen tv, a Pioneer Elite HD 1120, and I would like to put together a reasonable system for video and audio. I have a few questions that relate primarily to how I should connect the components.

I have found that the tv has HDMI inputs. I have read reviews which seemed to find the pairing of the Pioneer DV-59 AVi DVD player especially pleasing when connected via the HDML. Is the HDML connection superior to component video (I suspect the answer is yes)? If so, why aren't HDMI input/outputs available on the AV receivers (or are they)?

I'm not sure how relevant this is but Directv's HD DVR also has HDMI outputs.

Is DVI better than component video or HDMI?

Any help you can give me will be much appreciated.

By the way, what is the USB port for?

Last edited:
L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
the USB port is probably for controlling the DVD player on a wire hook-up to your receiver (ie cool to say you have, pretty useless in the face of a universal remote unless you're hiding it away in a closet somewhere). :D

HDMI is most effective when used with an upscaling processor like Faroudja, if your player has one. you can get a better picture that way. if not, it lets you hook up to the TV and still have the component input on the TV available for some other video application like an X-box

G

Grubert

Audioholic Intern
LoyalLion said:
I have found that the tv has HDMI inputs. I have read reviews which seemed to find the pairing of the Pioneer DV-59 AVi DVD player especially pleasing when connected via the HDML. Is the HDML connection superior to component video (I suspect the answer is yes)?
Yes, because component video is analog whereas video on the HDMI connection is digital. If you're using the HDMI you're avoiding a digital-to-analog conversion in the player and analog-to-digital in the display. Picture will be more detailed as a result.

If so, why aren't HDMI input/outputs available on the AV receivers (or are they)?
Because they cost money. :p

Now seriously, Denon is beginning to equip their top-line receivers with HDMI. See the upcoming 4806:

(courtesy of AVSforum)

Eventually, they'll trickle down to the more affordable models.

Is DVI better than component video or HDMI?
As far as video is concerned, it is equivalent. HDMI can also carry digital audio.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis