All those connections.........

B

BARK

Enthusiast
This may sound dumb but why would you run your video signals through an avr receiver instead of a direct connection to your tv? More cables, connections, clutter, added cost. decideing between yammy 2500, denon 3805, H&K 7300 ect...

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Convenience in the end. If you program your reicever right, you can just push a button and everything switches to DVD Mode, PS2 Mode, or whatever. When your reciever is routing all the signals, it simplifies use of the machine. Sure it's a paint to set up, but it makes life a lot easier when you actually sit down to use and enjoy your setup.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Not all of us have enough connections to run everything directly to the TV. So we use our A/V receiver to do the switching for us. It's actually a pretty nice convenience using it this way. First, it allows you to use short cables from the source to the receiver and then one long cable to the TV. Secondly, you only have to turn the tv on and off, you don't have to change sources.

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
It's also convienient for the (few) times I still pop in videocassettes to have the upscaling for the picture-very noticeable: plus, I don't have to dink around programming all the inputs to show on the screen when the MIssus wants to watch a movie on DVD/on VCR/play XBox/or watch TV.

Bryan...is anal-retentive spelled with a hyphen?!?!?!...

Ax-man

Ax-man

Audioholic
Speaking of TVs and connections, I'm using BlueJeans cables for the interconnects up to the Sony plasma. Seems like the heaviness of the cables are putting a strain on the interconnect plugs and bracket on the back of the TV, this being from the weight of the heavy cables. Just noticed this after plugging in a new cable box a couple of days ago.

Any recommendations as far as light weight, quality componet interconnects?

Ax-man

Ax-man

Audioholic
jaxvon said:
You could check out Impact Acoustics' offerings, but I can't guarantee that they'd be any lighter.
Thanks Jaxvon, from the pictures the Impact cables *look* lighter than the BlueJeans. Looks like they're fairly flexible as well....not too bad on the price either.

The BlueJeans are very well built cables, can be quite bulky though.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I guess I don't understand the 'all those connections' point. Yes, there are a lot of connections on the back of the A/V receiver, but really, if you don't use them on the back of the receiver, you are using them all on the back of the TV.

For some people (me) I put my gear into a rack where I have rear access, my plasma hanging an inch off the wall is a MUCH tougher place to reach if I need to add or remove components or do any service work.

Add to that, it is 50 feet from my components to the plasma, I need to split the output from the receiver to a plasma & a projector, and neither display device has enough inputs to handle all my sources...

Well, in the end, hooking everything up to the receiver adds a total, with most new receivers, of ONE component cable to your total setup mix. Hardly a lot of extra connections to make.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Ax-man said:
Speaking of TVs and connections, I'm using BlueJeans cables for the interconnects up to the Sony plasma. Seems like the heaviness of the cables are putting a strain on the interconnect plugs and bracket on the back of the TV, this being from the weight of the heavy cables. Just noticed this after plugging in a new cable box a couple of days ago.

Any recommendations as far as light weight, quality componet interconnects?
Are your cables hanging down under the plasma, or behind the plasma and drywall? I would suggest a cheap wire hangers from Home Depot. The kind better builders use in basements to support romex or 12/3 house electrical wire. Then you could "loop" your wire to the hanger, and let it fall from there.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
flyv65 said:
It's also convienient for the (few) times I still pop in videocassettes to have the upscaling for the picture-very noticeable: plus, I don't have to dink around programming all the inputs to show on the screen when the MIssus wants to watch a movie on DVD/on VCR/play XBox/or watch TV.

Bryan...is anal-retentive spelled with a hyphen?!?!?!...
As everyone has already mentioned the main reason to do so is for convenience and I use my Denon 3805 switching capabilities just for that reason. But of the three receivers mentioned, only the HK 7300 does any signal processing to improve the picture quality. What the "upconversion" feature does is allow all different types of signal inputs, 480i, 480P, 720P, and 1080i to be passed along a single component cable. If you are seeing any improvement in your picture quality it may be because of the component cable quality compared to a composite cable. The Denon 3805 and the Yamaha 2500 have no components or chips that either deinterlace or scale the images.

Ax-man

Ax-man

Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Are your cables hanging down under the plasma, or behind the plasma and drywall? I would suggest a cheap wire hangers from Home Depot. The kind better builders use in basements to support romex or 12/3 house electrical wire. Then you could "loop" your wire to the hanger, and let it fall from there.
The plasma is on a stand and the equipment is below with the cables just 'free' hanging from the tv to the reciever. I didn't think about supporting the cables with a hanger type device...I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Other than the weight, I really like the BlueJeans cables. The connectors are sturdy and fit nice and tight to the plugs ins.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis