Aligned a tape head on a Panasonic Shockwave portable cassette player

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I turned a screw near the bottom right of the head which did nothing. The one to the left of the head which was also more recessed did the trick. I had my headphones and was playing the tape while adjusting the screw and got it to sound clear. Does anyone know what the right screw does?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know if this helps you much, but on my old Nakamichi 581Z there was a screw for the azimuth and another for the head height,
There were actually 5 total - the two above for both the record and play heads account for 4 and the fifth adjusted the tape guide. The tape guide adjustment should generally be "upstream" of the heads (relative to the direction of tape travel).

These are mechanical adjustments and should be positioned similar to those shown in this photo. Also notice that there are more screws to the far right of this pic which were electronic calibration adjustments to match the specific tapes. If your screws are not physically at the tape heads then they are probably electronic adjustments.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis