• Thread starter Ferrofluid Answer Person
  • Start date
F

Ferrofluid Answer Person

Audiophyte
Is anyone planning to attend the AISE 2019 event from ALMA International? This is the home of audio, folks!

AISE 2019 Banner.jpg

F

Ferrofluid Answer Person

Audiophyte
Over 35 hours of cutting edge Breakout sessions for and by Professionals in the Audio and Loudspeaker Technologies industry in 2 packed days."
Go to https://almaint.org and click on AISE2019 under the events tab.

I will be presenting a talk on "Thermal Benefits of Ferrofluids in Loudspeakers" during the Speaker Builder's Workshop Track at the Symposium!

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Over 35 hours of cutting edge Breakout sessions for and by Professionals in the Audio and Loudspeaker Technologies industry in 2 packed days."
Go to https://almaint.org and click on AISE2019 under the events tab.

I will be presenting a talk on "Thermal Benefits of Ferrofluids in Loudspeakers" during the Speaker Builder's Workshop Track at the Symposium!
Not going to be attending, but it sounds interesting. If you don't mind my asking, what are the thermal benefits of ferrofluids in loudspeakers? I assume its a good heat conductor?

F

Ferrofluid Answer Person

Audiophyte
Not going to be attending, but it sounds interesting. If you don't mind my asking, what are the thermal benefits of ferrofluids in loudspeakers? I assume its a good heat conductor?
Ferrofluid has 4 times the thermal transfer capacity of air, so you can keep your speakers a lot cooler with the adequate fill of ferrofluid in the air gap. This can help you to NOT burn out your coil, plus it helps to avoid thermal power compression, the loss of dB from overheating of the coil. Ferrofluid also helps with coil centering and elimination of "rub and scrape". Ferrofluids have been used in loudspeakers since the mid 70's, and today they go into well over 300 million speakers annually.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Ferrofluid has 4 times the thermal transfer capacity of air, so you can keep your speakers a lot cooler with the adequate fill of ferrofluid in the air gap. This can help you to NOT burn out your coil, plus it helps to avoid thermal power compression, the loss of dB from overheating of the coil. Ferrofluid also helps with coil centering and elimination of "rub and scrape". Ferrofluids have been used in loudspeakers since the mid 70's, and today they go into well over 300 million speakers annually.
Thanks for the info! Cool stuff!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So what's the percentage of speakers that utilize such? I have no idea how many speakers are made annually, tho....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I knew that this ferrofluid was used to keep voice coils cooler.

Since this fluid is heavier than air, I figure that a heavier magnet is required to compensate for the added resistance to free movement, for proper transient response. Is that exact?

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic

Since this fluid is heavier than air, I figure that a heavier magnet is required to compensate for the added resistance to free movement, for proper transient response. Is that exact?
I would think it also might be influenced by the properties of the fluid, such as whether it is a Newtonian or non-Newtonian fluid.

A

andrewdrouin

Audiophyte

Late reply... but the resistance-to-movement of ferrofluid on drivers is minute, as the quantity of ferro' in the voice coil gap is also minute, on the order of microlitres. The ferromagnetic material is suspended in an oil-base (an ester) and as such is a lubricant.

Andrew Drouin
SpeakerFerrofluids

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis