Age to trust your kids around your gear

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Nah, he's such a good guy in other ways, just not educated in the ways of audio gear.
You're a nice friend. Most people would have been looking for a new friend.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You're a nice friend. Most people would have been looking for a new friend.

He was a business partner at the time and I had provided my gear for our business' fun lounge....my mistake more than his. Let's just say I provided more amp power than was reasonable for the setup :)

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
He was a business partner at the time and I had provided my gear for our business' fun lounge....my mistake more than his. Let's just say I provided more amp power than was reasonable for the setup :)
Oh that's cool. Stuff happens as they say right. It only takes money to replace possessions. Friends and family not so much.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh that's cool. Stuff happens as they say right. It only takes money to replace possessions. Friends and family not so much.

I had bought the speakers from another friend at a really good price (after he fried the speakers and had them repaired, I took delivery directly from the repair). Definitely didn't want to lose him as a friend. He's truly one of the great guys out there....

ps Sad part is the guy I bought the speakers from, a good friend in audio and mountain biking both, died several years back when we were roommates....

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
10. I wouldn't let any kid under ten (males especially) play with expensive audio equipment. Dad's favorite thing to say to me when I do something stupid is: "you could break a f_&_&&$4 anvil boy!" So yes, dad wouldn't let me even get close to his audio stuff. Now I'm brilliant with it. I'm a reel to reel master, etc. He commemorates me for that now. I have a great dad.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
My sons are grown and on their own and they still stand clear of it. They used to sneak play it when they were teens and were unaware of the delay on start up and turned it all the way up, only to have their eyebrows blown back to their a-holes and that scared them away from it for awhile. Ended up giving that same gear to one of them a year ago or so.

Now it's grandkids, and I have instructed the parents that they are not allowed in that living room without direct and present, adult supervision. The real challenge with that being, those adults always have their heads up their phone-asses and details of all kinds, slip through the many cracks that tends to cause these days. They have slipped a few times and I have found evidence of contact with my gear, and since the limitations were understood and agreed upon beforehand, gave me license to be a total d!ck about it. I have one tiny section of my house that I can fully live in, outside my bedroom, and there are no exceptions or leeway there.

Since most of my stuff is DIY now, an accident would not really be a disaster since it would at most be a replacement part but, kids, and some grownups, really need to learn to be considerate of such things. Especially if they have no stake in the game, whether it be mine, or their own. So, when something happens, I ask them; "What do you own that you really care for?" I mean, other than your phones, obviously? Nothing? Ok then. Get out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis