After 20 years with old stereo, new Marantz SV5014 arriving today...

G

grodzki

Audioholic Intern
...and I have so many questions. Putting streaming aside for now, my first project after setup is to rip my 800-odd CDs to FLAC, but I'm not sure whether to put them - a dedicated PC, or NAS, or just a high-capacity USB drive. Is HEOS all I need for a Digital Media Controller? Do I need one of those Raspberry Pi's or Intel NUC thingamabobs? And what's all this I hear about Roon? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I first rip my cd's to my hard drive in my computer then copy them to two backup hard drives so I don't have to spend all that time ripping ever again :). I transfer to thumb drives for various uses as needed, too. Can't help you with the others, don't use them.

G

grodzki

Audioholic Intern
I first rip my cd's to my hard drive in my computer then copy them to two backup hard drives so I don't have to spend all that time ripping ever again :). I transfer to thumb drives for various uses as needed, too. Can't help you with the others, don't use them.
Thanks! Do you use Exact Audio Copy or Dbpoweramp or some other program to rip your CDs? And how do you play them back?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks! Do you use Exact Audio Copy or Dbpoweramp or some other program to rip your CDs? And how do you play them back?
I do use EAC for ripping, and I rip to FLAC altho these days with storage prices even WAV would be a consideration. I play them back directly from the computer using foobar2000 over my wifi network and via thumb drive into various specific devices.

G

grodzki

Audioholic Intern
I do use EAC for ripping, and I rip to FLAC altho these days with storage prices even WAV would be a consideration. I play them back directly from the computer using foobar2000 over my wifi network and via thumb drive into various specific devices.
Thanks! Great info

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis