affordable headphones

R

redgirl

Junior Audioholic
I listen to music all day at work but have sensitive ears. I'm looking for a pair that cover my ears since earbuds shoot the sound straight down the ear canal causing damage to the eardrum over time but am holding out to save a bit of money before I get a decent pair of headphones. Since I'm at work I love headphones that block outside noise because it helps me concentrate but I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg on them. I'm aiming for under $50. Anyone have brand suggestions or a pair that you recommed?

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
I listen to music all day at work but have sensitive ears. I'm looking for a pair that cover my ears since earbuds shoot the sound straight down the ear canal causing damage to the eardrum over time
By the way, there isn't anything inherently damaging about in-ear phones. Playing over-the-ear phones too loud will damage your hearing just as fast. The problem is that standard earbuds don't block any outside noise, so people end up cranking them to make up for that - but that's also true for open-style over-the-ear headphones.

Closed headphones like you're asking about help block outside noise so you can hear the music better at lower volumes, but so do in-ear phones that seal into the ear canal. Not everyone digs in-ear phones, and I don't actually recommend any of the cheaper in-ears I've tried, so maybe it was strictly necessary for me to bring up.

R

redgirl

Junior Audioholic
Thank you!!

By the way, there isn't anything inherently damaging about in-ear phones. Playing over-the-ear phones too loud will damage your hearing just as fast. The problem is that standard earbuds don't block any outside noise, so people end up cranking them to make up for that - but that's also true for open-style over-the-ear headphones.

Closed headphones like you're asking about help block outside noise so you can hear the music better at lower volumes, but so do in-ear phones that seal into the ear canal. Not everyone digs in-ear phones, and I don't actually recommend any of the cheaper in-ears I've tried, so maybe it was strictly necessary for me to bring up.
Wow, great suggestions and info on headphones and the damage they cause to ears. What more could a girl ask for? Thank you all for your suggestions. These are all in my price-range and look like what I'm searching for. I may not buy them now that Christmas is coming up but am hoping to soon. Maybe it will be a Christmas present to myself.:D

R

redgirl

Junior Audioholic
Quick update

I got some pretty cool headphones for Christmas. They're Unisar and claim to be noise-cancelling but are so-so as far as that goes. The bass is amazing and I can't believe I've been missing so much by using cheap ear-buds for so long. Listening to music is a completely different experience now; I even hear things in songs I didn't hear before. Though they're not completely noise-cancelling, they block out most outside noise so I've definitely been able to concentrate better.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
I'm so glad when people follow up on threads like this instead of just disappearing. I know essentially nothing about those 'phones but I do not doubt they're a major upgrade from cheap earbuds. (It's always amazing to me that people will have a $200 media player...and still use those essentially disposable cheapo earbuds...yuck). Enjoy.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
I bought a pair of these etymotics for my daughter to use with her IPod.

Etymotic Research, Inc. - ETY-Kids™ Safe-Listening Earphones for Kids

They are designed to prevent kids (or anyone for that matter) from causing hearing damage by cranking it up.

I bought a different pair of ety's for my wife. She loves them as they offer great isolation. I think that's the key, with great isolation you aren't tempted to turn up the volume to overcome noise from your environment.

R

redgirl

Junior Audioholic
I agree, I find myself turning the volume down more often than up with these headphones. I'll have to check out those ETY's next time I buy a pair.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis