advise on Velodyne SPL series?

M

mw86

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I am looking to buy some entry-level, high-end main/rear/center speakers.  Currently, I am looking at the Velodyne SPL-523 series.  Sound&amp;Vision gave them a favorable review.  The price also meets my budget range ($800-$1000).  Has anyone listened to these speakers or do you have any alternative suggestions for a 50/50 music/HT listener?  I have a Denon 1803 receiver and enjoy a wide variety of music (rock, jazz, electronic &amp; classical).

feedback is appreciated .
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>MW;

In the past, I was never too impressed with Velodyne speakers. &nbsp;I think they make high performance subs, but their speakers IMO are somewhat lacking. &nbsp;In your price range you may alternatively wish to consider the likes of Energy, Monitor Audio, Paradigm, or even Axiom Audio to name a few brands. &nbsp;Others may have alternative suggestions. &nbsp;Ultimately you should listen to as many brands/models as possible and if you buy without listening, make sure the vendor/manufacturer has a fair return policy in case you don't like them.</font>

<font color='#008080'>I LOVE the SPL subs (I have an SPL800 which I will never part with), but haven't heard the SPL series speakers.</font>

M

mw86

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Well, I went to my local a/v store and listened to the Energy C5 towers &amp; C3 bookshelves along with the CC3 center speakers.  I was not totally impressed with the main speakers while listening to music.  The mid's sounded great but they sounded a little flat on the high end.  I blame this partly due to the sub-par Sony receiver with little-to-no bass/mid/treble adjustments which they were being played through.  The center channel sounded great, especially with store's DTS promo DVD with concert audio &amp; movie clips.

Would you agree with my assessment that these speakers would sound much cleaner on my Denon receiver?

Feedback is always appreciated.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis