Advice on speaker placement for 7.1 set-up

• Thread starter Peter Kappelhof
  • Start date
Peter Kappelhof

Peter Kappelhof

Enthusiast
I am upgrading my speaker system from a 5.1 set-up to a 7.1 setup. I am currently using Polk RTi-A1 for front L/R and Polk CSi-A4 for the center. I have cheap existing in wall speakers in a coffered ceiling (see photos) that I currently use for my rear surrounds in a 5.1 set-up. I purchased a pair of Polk RC65i in walls with aimable tweeters to replace those speakers and a second pair of the same speakers for rear surrounds. I'm planning on installing the rear surrounds in the face of a soffit about 10' above the floor and about 4' behind the listening position. I'm starting to wonder, though, if due to the height I have to install the speakers, if I might be better off to install rear surrounds in the ceiling? If so, can the rectangular RC65i's be installed in the ceiling or would I be better off to exchange them for round ceiling speakers? If the RC65i's are o.k. in the ceiling, how should they be oriented? Please see photos for a better idea of what I have to work with. I appreciate any advice anyone is willing to provide.
Family Rm-Front.jpg
Family Rm-Left.jpg
Family Rm-Rear.jpg
Family Rm-Right.jpg

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
This might seem like a lazy reply, but just get it as close as you can to Dolby's placement guide:

Try to get the tweeters aimed at the ears of the listening position. It looks like you are doing most of that, except you might want to space the rear surrounds a little further apart.

Peter Kappelhof

Peter Kappelhof

Enthusiast
Thanks ShadyJ. I've seen this diagram before. I've read elsewhere that the rear speakers should be about the same distance apart as the front left and right speakers. Those are about 6 feet apart, so that's what I was thinking for the rear speakers. Are you suggesting that they be farther apart than that?

My bigger concern is that, as you can see on the photo, if I install the rear speakers in a wall, I really have no choice other than to install them on the face of the kitchen soffit which will place them about 10 feet above the floor and about 4 feet behind the listening position. Would I be better off installing these in the ceiling and, if so, should I switch to round ceiling speakers? In this case I guess I would install them close to the back wall so they would be about 3-1/2 feet behind the listening position but pointed directly down.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I've read elsewhere that the rear speakers should be about the same distance apart as the front left and right speakers. Those are about 6 feet apart, so that's what I was thinking for the rear speakers. Are you suggesting that they be farther apart than that?
Yes. 6' is not really enough for the fronts or rears. Because your fronts are too close is not a good reason to copy the mistake with your rears.

Think of it this way... with the fronts so close, sounds that should come from the forward sides sound more like they're coming from the center. But improved placement of the rears means a car door slamming from behind you on the left really sounds like it's behind you on the left.

Peter Kappelhof

Peter Kappelhof

Enthusiast
Thanks for the input, herbu. That makes sense. I didn't have much choice on the fronts as you can see on the photos in my original post. How far apart would you suggest I mount the rears? Any thoughts on my concerns about them being so high on the wall and considering in-ceiling speakers versus in-wall speakers?

Ora Shannon

Ora Shannon

Enthusiast
Lots of good information here.
Thanx to all. I learned as well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis