Advice Needed - Is this a good 5.1 setup?

S

Spickering54

Audiophyte
All

I am a novice and want to treat myself by completely refreshing my basement home theater. Here are the prereqs:
  • Budget- No more than 9k but more comfortable with 8k
  • What I purchase I would like to take with me in 18 mos to 2yrs with an expected move
  • Purpose - Event watching. Movies, Sports, and some shows we like to stream
  • Sources - AppleTV (YouTubeTV, Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, etc.) looking to purchase a new DVD
  • Room Space - 15x18
  • Lighting is mostly controlled with a couple of small window well windows
Initial Setup: I would like advice since there isn't anywhere nearby I can see or listen
  • TV—Bravia 9 85 in (Considering LG C4 of other OLEDs), but reviews seem to suggest that the Bravia 9 is a great longer-term option than an OLED.
    • A 35-ft HDMI cable will be needed along the edge of the baseboards. Use a Cat 6 extender?
  • Speakers
    • Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F
    • Paradigm Center 2000c (Speaker Stand recommendation?)
    • Paradigm Monitor Atom SE or Cinema 100 (Wall Mounted)
    • Paradigm Defiance V10 Sub - How do I enable this to be wireless?
  • AVR
    • Sony STRAN 1000
    • Yamaha RX-V6A
    • Other less expensive?
  • DVD
    • Panasonic DP-UB820
    • Sony X800M2
  • Other
    • Universal Remote
    • Do I need a network switch to hardwire the internet?
    • Surge Protector/Conditioner recommendation?
    • Looking to buy from Crutchfield. I will need someone to call to help with questions when setting up and calibrating. Other ideas?
    • HDMI cable recommendations?

O

Oddball

Audioholic Intern
I have not seen new Bravia 9, but seems like a solid choice. Sony makes pretty good TVs if not interested in size above 85" and has best video processing in the industry.

AVR - I would rather go with Denon or Onkyo. 3800H or even 3700H and RZ 50. Solid and most popular AVRs and run on either Audy or Dirac which seem to be mainstream room EQ systems. Sony's room correction is pretty cryptic although some people swear it works wonders. YPAO does not seem to get much of praise, but have not dealt with it in more than 2 years though.

I would go with 2 subs if possible to fit in the budget. Not sure what the pricing is on Paradigm but probably something cheaper with 10" driver would do. People often recommend Speedwoofer as value solution. Getting a wireless module will cost money and cause additional audio delay which might or might not be possible to accommodated depending on the EQ system. Audy would likely not be able to do it right. Dirac would. Not sure about Sony or YPAO. Wire is better and it will always work, without any interference.

For speakers I am not that experienced in this price range, but the centre you chose seems to suggest that 50W is the max continuous power it will take which is not great. It might work for your use case, but getting a more capable centre channel would go a long way as most of the content is actually reproduced by the centre. I would look into other brands that might provide more value.

jinjuku

jinjuku

All

I am a novice and want to treat myself by completely refreshing my basement home theater. Here are the prereqs:
  • Budget- No more than 9k but more comfortable with 8k
  • What I purchase I would like to take with me in 18 mos to 2yrs with an expected move
  • Purpose - Event watching. Movies, Sports, and some shows we like to stream
  • Sources - AppleTV (YouTubeTV, Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, etc.) looking to purchase a new DVD
  • Room Space - 15x18
  • Lighting is mostly controlled with a couple of small window well windows
Initial Setup: I would like advice since there isn't anywhere nearby I can see or listen
  • TV—Bravia 9 85 in (Considering LG C4 of other OLEDs), but reviews seem to suggest that the Bravia 9 is a great longer-term option than an OLED.
    • A 35-ft HDMI cable will be needed along the edge of the baseboards. Use a Cat 6 extender?
  • Speakers
    • Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F
    • Paradigm Center 2000c (Speaker Stand recommendation?)
    • Paradigm Monitor Atom SE or Cinema 100 (Wall Mounted)
    • Paradigm Defiance V10 Sub - How do I enable this to be wireless?
  • AVR
    • Sony STRAN 1000
    • Yamaha RX-V6A
    • Other less expensive?
  • DVD
    • Panasonic DP-UB820
    • Sony X800M2
  • Other
    • Universal Remote
    • Do I need a network switch to hardwire the internet?
    • Surge Protector/Conditioner recommendation?
    • Looking to buy from Crutchfield. I will need someone to call to help with questions when setting up and calibrating. Other ideas?
    • HDMI cable recommendations?
Would projection and inwall speakers (excepting subs) work since it's light controlled?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
You've done some pretty good research already. Those are all decent components.
  • If you think that you will add a gaming console later, I would lean towards the C3, otherwise either set is a fine choice. Some think that Sony has slightly better picture processing but at that level the differences are hard to notice. @Trebdp83 has excellent knowledge of TV features.
  • For long HDMI runs, the RuiPro fiber optic cables perform great. Here is the 40' version on Amazon. I would not skimp on this as the wrong cable can lead to issues that are difficult to diagnose. These cables are often combined with a USB power insertor to provide extra power as often the HDMI port does not have enough current to drive the extenders properly. (RuiPro sells one for $10)
  • Usual recommendation for AVRs is Denon/Marantz, Yamaha and Sony. The V6A is a solid unit but you could look at comparable Denons as well. Some prefer the Audyssey room correction to Yamaha's YPAO but the Yamaha Music Cast feature is superior to Deon's HEOS.
  • For hardwired internet you need a CAT6 run back to your router or closest network hub / switch. Most routers have 3 or 4 open ports to connect to. A 1GB hub is good if you need multiple connections. I have a hub located at my home theatre console. An 8 port hub will yield 7 open ports as you need one port to connect back to the router. With the TV, AVR, Apple TV and blue-ray player that is already 4 devices and you want extra for expansion. If the TV is far from the AVR, install the hub at the AVR and run another cable from the hub to the TV.
  • For surge protection the best thing is a whole home surge protector installed at the breaker panel. About $500 installed? For power conditioning, most economical option is a computer uninterruptible power supply (UPS) like ones from APC or Tripp Lite, etc. A good option if you can hide them away as the look is utilitarian. If you want something nice in a rack mount case you will pay a lot more money for the aesthetics. A UPS is a "nice to have" but not a "must have".
  • Not sure if Crutchfield offers setup assistance. You can get that here. ;)
  • Any 8k certified HDMI cable from Amazon or Monoprice will due. Don't spend a fortune on cables. For speaker cables you can again get cables (14 or 12 gauge) from Amazon or Monoprice. If the cables will be visible and you want something nice looking, you can check out BlueJean Cables and others in that price range but exotic cables are a waste of money.
  • I left the speakers for last as the bulk of your budget should go towards the TV and speakers. The speakers and room will have the biggest impact on sound. Paradigm is good (that's what I own) but the Monitor line is their starter line. With an 8k or 9k budget I think you can do better. Calculate how much the TV, AVR, disk player etc. will cost and let us know what budget you have left for speakers. There may be better options.
  • While the Paradigm X series subs are good, I think there are better performers for the dollar than the V10. I would look at SVS, RSL and Hsu to start, depending on your budget. For that size of room two subwoofers would be preferred, but if budget allows for only one, make it a very good one.

S

Spickering54

Audiophyte
You've done some pretty good research already. Those are all decent components.
  • If you think that you will add a gaming console later, I would lean towards the C3, otherwise either set is a fine choice. Some think that Sony has slightly better picture processing but at that level the differences are hard to notice. @Trebdp83 has excellent knowledge of TV features.
  • For long HDMI runs, the RuiPro fiber optic cables perform great. Here is the 40' version on Amazon. I would not skimp on this as the wrong cable can lead to issues that are difficult to diagnose. These cables are often combined with a USB power insertor to provide extra power as often the HDMI port does not have enough current to drive the extenders properly. (RuiPro sells one for $10)
  • Usual recommendation for AVRs is Denon/Marantz, Yamaha and Sony. The V6A is a solid unit but you could look at comparable Denons as well. Some prefer the Audyssey room correction to Yamaha's YPAO but the Yamaha Music Cast feature is superior to Deon's HEOS.
  • For hardwired internet you need a CAT6 run back to your router or closest network hub / switch. Most routers have 3 or 4 open ports to connect to. A 1GB hub is good if you need multiple connections. I have a hub located at my home theatre console. An 8 port hub will yield 7 open ports as you need one port to connect back to the router. With the TV, AVR, Apple TV and blue-ray player that is already 4 devices and you want extra for expansion. If the TV is far from the AVR, install the hub at the AVR and run another cable from the hub to the TV.
  • For surge protection the best thing is a whole home surge protector installed at the breaker panel. About $500 installed? For power conditioning, most economical option is a computer uninterruptible power supply (UPS) like ones from APC or Tripp Lite, etc. A good option if you can hide them away as the look is utilitarian. If you want something nice in a rack mount case you will pay a lot more money for the aesthetics. A UPS is a "nice to have" but not a "must have".
  • Not sure if Crutchfield offers setup assistance. You can get that here. ;)
  • Any 8k certified HDMI cable from Amazon or Monoprice will due. Don't spend a fortune on cables. For speaker cables you can again get cables (14 or 12 gauge) from Amazon or Monoprice. If the cables will be visible and you want something nice looking, you can check out BlueJean Cables and others in that price range but exotic cables are a waste of money.
  • I left the speakers for last as the bulk of your budget should go towards the TV and speakers. The speakers and room will have the biggest impact on sound. Paradigm is good (that's what I own) but the Monitor line is their starter line. With an 8k or 9k budget I think you can do better. Calculate how much the TV, AVR, disk player etc. will cost and let us know what budget you have left for speakers. There may be better options.
  • While the Paradigm X series subs are good, I think there are better performers for the dollar than the V10. I would look at SVS, RSL and Hsu to start, depending on your budget. For that size of room two subwoofers would be preferred, but if budget allows for only one, make it a very good one.
Thanks. After the Bravia 9, V6A, and Sony X8002 disk player, the cost is $5,875. That doesn't include the rest of the accessories. Thoughts on speakers? Also, I have second thoughts on the V6A, but if you say improving the speaker system is a better move, I get it.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks. After the Bravia 9, V6A, and Sony X8002 disk player, the cost is $5,875. That doesn't include the rest of the accessories. Thoughts on speakers? Also, I have second thoughts on the V6A, but if you say improving the speaker system is a better move, I get it.
Are you set on towers for the front or would you consider bookshelves since you are adding a subwoofer? Hsu has a package with five CCB-8 speakers (which use a coaxial driver and can be used both horizontally and vertically) and their VTF- 2 MK5 sub for $2,519.00. SVS has their Prime Tower 5.0 package for $1,650 which includes a 3-way center as opposed to the 2-way Paradigm 2000c. You could combine that with a PB-1000 Pro or PB-2000 Pro sub or an RSL 12S sub.

If this is primarily for home theatre remember that the center channel speaker carries most of the dialogue, so you want to make sure that a good center channel is included. Is the Paradigm Premier series outside of your budget? You should be able to get Paradigm speakers for below retail as they sell through a dealer network.

Maybe @shadyJ has some recommendations for a 5.1 package in the $2500 range?

S

Spickering54

Audiophyte
Are you set on towers for the front or would you consider bookshelves since you are adding a subwoofer? Hsu has a package with five CCB-8 speakers (which use a coaxial driver and can be used both horizontally and vertically) and their VTF- 2 MK5 sub for $2,519.00. SVS has their Prime Tower 5.0 package for $1,650 which includes a 3-way center as opposed to the 2-way Paradigm 2000c. You could combine that with a PB-1000 Pro or PB-2000 Pro sub or an RSL 12S sub.

If this is primarily for home theatre remember that the center channel speaker carries most of the dialogue, so you want to make sure that a good center channel is included. Is the Paradigm Premier series outside of your budget? You should be able to get Paradigm speakers for below retail as they sell through a dealer network.

Maybe @shadyJ has some recommendations for a 5.1 package in the $2500 range?
I am not set on towers. I am just looking for the best sound for immersive movies and watching big-event sports.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For Movies, I would get something like a 4K Laser Projector from Epson (LS12000) - or JVC (NZ30) if wanting something less expensive than the LS12000. Get a nice inexpensive 120"-130" giant screen from Amazon for about $300-$400. Pay Best Buy to install the PJ and Screen for another $300 labor.

For AVRs, I would get something like a Yamaha RX-A4A or Denon X3800.

Speakers and subs are a lot tougher since there are so many options available - RBH, KEF, PSB, B&W, Revel, MartinLogan, Focal, Dynaudio, Monitor Audio, etc. Definitely talk to a dealer about your best options in terms of cost. Keep in mind that with these brick and mortar brands, your dealer might be able to get you some big discounts on certain brands.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Don’t know enough about projectors to recommend one. I’m over LED LCD TVs. If going with a TV, go OLED. My 77” C1 EVO picture is still as good as it was out of the box.

I’d maybe go Denon X3800H here. It supports Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization AND also supports DTS Virtual:X for those with 5.1 setups. Onkyo RZ models, along with TX-NR7100, and ALL Yamaha models support Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization but DO NOT support DTS Virtual:X.

If wanting IMAX Signature Sound by DTS( lossy DTS:X) from Disney+, look at a new Sony TV to get it. No external streamer currently supports it.

Denon/Dolby puts some serious cross upmixing limits on signals but the Apple TV 4K outputs everything in LPCM so no worries on non Atmos tracks. Dolby Atmos tracks will have metadata intact and will be decoded by the receiver accordingly and be locked out of cross upmixing. But, that goes for any Atmos signal through any AVP/AVR.

If wanting Dolby Atmos music playback capability, the Apple TV 4K supports it from Apple Music and Tidal. Dolby Atmos from Amazon Music Unlimited is not supported on the Apple TV 4K.

To stream music from services directly to an AVR, Yamaha’s MusicCast app betters the Denon/Marantz HEOS app. But, if one prefers to use a service app on an iOS device, you won’t actually hear a difference in quality from those protocols using Airplay. Denon and Yamaha both support it.

If you do not need DVD-Audio or SACD support, go for the Panasonic disc player. The Sony does not support HDR10+ and Dolby Vision must be turned ON and OFF. If ON, 1080p 24Hz bluray discs will playback in Dolby Vision. 1080p 30/60i discs will playback in SDR regardless of the setting.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis