Advice needed for MacIntosh MA8900 and Focal Aria 936

K

kiett

Audiophyte
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and I am thinking of upgrading my current sound system which is about 30 years old. I would like to ask for your advice on the combination of MacIntosh MA8900 and Focal Aria 936. Your advice/opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Kiet

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
it’s great equipment and should sound great depending on your room and setup. That said you’re spending $7,500 on your receiver and $2,500 on speakers, you’re going to get much better sound by reversing your budget although the Focals are great speakers.

Tell us a little more about yourself, your experience level and the room you’re putting the speakers in.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I have to agree with the previous post from TankTop5. If you're going to spend $10,000 for two speakers and a 200 wpc amp, aim to spend more than half of that total on speakers.

If you've already decided on those Focal 936 speakers, you may be aware that they measured below 4 ohms impedance from about 80 Hz to 500 Hz. See the solid black line in the impedance vs frequency graph from Stereophile's review of these speakers.
1627306237766.png

The reviewer says they are sensitive speakers, about 90 dB. But because their impedance is less than 4 ohms, they should be used with an amp capable of driving speakers as low as 3 ohms, not 8 ohms as Focal claims. More often than not, amps capable of driving loads 4 ohms or lower are also very high powered amps.

The MacIntosh integrated amp you mentioned is certainly very capable, but it's also very expensive. You're not likely to find many integrated amps as powerful as the MC8900, but you can buy separate preamps and amps with similar power for much less money. Try looking at amps and/or preamps from Audio by VanAlstine (AVA), Amplifier Technologies (ATI), or Odyssey. Similar to MacIntosh, those 3 manufacturers are all in the USA.

Last edited:
T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
The McIntosh amp is an heirloom piece that you can keep forever and give to your grandchildren but there are some modern amps that perform equally (if not better) and do much more.

Anthem STR, $4,500 - does everything
NAD M33, $5k - does everything

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Agree with the above unless your heart is really set on that Mac. Might be able to move up to the Focal Aria 948 unless that it getting too big. Next line up is the Kanta 2 but then we're talking $10k just for the speakers. I think Gene from Audioholics has a pair in his house so I imagine the Kantas are very good. In your price range you might want to have a listen to the Revel PerformaBe F226Be as well, reviewed here, and it's impedance only goes down to 5 ohms. Focal and Revel both make beautiful speakers

K

kiett

Audiophyte
Hi All,
Thank you for your comments.

Tank Top5, I've heard of a formula regarding buying your system, and that is to spend at least half of your budget on speakers. You are right on in suggesting to reverse my budget. When it come to HIFI, I am just an amateur. My first system was a Rotel receiver, Nakamichi CD player, and a pair of Engery Reference speakers. And you are also right about the MacIntosh that I always wanted to own one and do plan to pass it on to my son.
The room which the speakers will be in is the family room which has one long side open to the living room, and the short side open to the kitchen. It is not idea but it's the only space that I have.

Swerd, Eppie, thank you for posting the impedance vs frequency graph. I didn't realize that their impedance is less than 4 ohm at certain frequency range. As I haven't on Focal Speaker, any suggestion of the speakers if I am to spend half of my budget on the speakers. This probably is going to be my second and last system , so I want to get it right.

Regards,

Kiet

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Hi All,
Thank you for your comments.

Tank Top5, I've heard of a formula regarding buying your system, and that is to spend at least half of your budget on speakers. You are right on in suggesting to reverse my budget. When it come to HIFI, I am just an amateur. My first system was a Rotel receiver, Nakamichi CD player, and a pair of Engery Reference speakers. And you are also right about the MacIntosh that I always wanted to own one and do plan to pass it on to my son.
The room which the speakers will be in is the family room which has one long side open to the living room, and the short side open to the kitchen. It is not idea but it's the only space that I have.

Swerd, Eppie, thank you for posting the impedance vs frequency graph. I didn't realize that their impedance is less than 4 ohm at certain frequency range. As I haven't on Focal Speaker, any suggestion of the speakers if I am to spend half of my budget on the speakers. This probably is going to be my second and last system , so I want to get it right.

Regards,

Kiet
The Focals are very good, you just need to do a little more research when pairing them with a proper amp, and I mentioned the Revel PerformaBe with a link to a review. The new Founders edition from Paradigm are purported to be very good as well.

If your intention is to audition these speakers before purchasing, can you name some brands in your area that you have access to? Salk Sound in Michigan makes beautiful speakers that measure very flat and a few members in these forums own them. Absolutely gorgeous finishes. You can spend anywhere from $3,500 to $15,000 on those but you would likely have to email Salk and find out if there are any in the area. Are you set on floor standing speakers or considering monitors on stands as well? Any chance this will be multi-channel in the near future or strictly 2-channel?

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I didn't catch where you're from. If in the US I'd be looking at Salk Sound with that budget and put more into the speakers than the receiver.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
If your intention is to audition these speakers before purchasing, can you name some brands in your area that you have access to? Salk Sound in Michigan makes beautiful speakers that measure very flat and a few members in these forums own them. Absolutely gorgeous finishes. You can spend anywhere from $3,500 to $15,000 on those but you would likely have to email Salk and find out where there nearest dealer is to audition them.
Salk sells it's speakers only by Internet Direct. There are no dealers or distributors who substantially increase price as they take large portions of the retail price. It is said that the costs & profits for distributors & dealers account for at least 50% of the selling price of speakers and other audio products.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Salk sells it's speakers only by Internet Direct. There are no dealers or distributors who substantially increase price as they take large portions of the retail price. It is said that the costs & profits for distributors & dealers account for at least 50% of the selling price of speakers and other audio products.
I worked at an audio shop for 7 years and know the mark up all too well. ;)

I recall another thread where it was mentioned that someone email Salk to ask what was in the area. Was this to demo someone's personal system? A network of friendly owners would be nice promotion.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I recall another thread where it was mentioned that someone email Salk to ask what was in the area. Was this to demo someone's personal system? A network of friendly owners would be nice promotion.
Yes, this was to demo someone's personal system.

Jim Salk keeps a list of owner's who are willing to demo their speakers. I've done that several times in the past.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis