Advice in selecting a budget home theatre system

hf1818

Audiophyte
Hi,

I am currently planning to purchase a home theatre system, and am confused on what I should go with. My knowledge on home theater systems are not too great, so let me first indicate my requirement.

Purpose - Mainly to watch DVD movies, occasional audio (dance, instrumentals, etc) and possibly hooking the TV audio
Room size - 12ft (width) x 16ft (length)
Room type - nothing custom, its my hall, so no sound proofing, very bad sound reflection (windows on the left side, doors in the right side, stairway behind)
Wall/Roof type - Concrete
Budget - nothing fancy, around 500-600 max
Environment - Hot and Humid when its not raining (I live in an south asian country, but plan to buy and take the stuff from US)

My current planned options are,

1. Onkyo HT-S760 6.1 system (saw on the web for around $350 with shipping)

2. Onkyo SR-501 receiver hooked upto

either the Athena Technologies Micra 6 system

or a Cambridge Soundworks System (Newton S200, MC100, MC150 and a sub combi)

or based on what i saw in a forum the HSU Ventriloquist VT-12 with the STF-2 sub.

The issue with the Onkyo S760 which seems to be a good buy is whether its too big for such the room size, and also it seems a tad bulky and would make the room crowded. The reviews for the S760 seems to rate it very high for a $500 system.

The Athena system i just saw in one of the reviews, and seems highly rated. Again the Athen system is rated highly among the $500 systems.

I have not sampled either the S760 or the Athena systems, though i sampled the cambridge speaker modules.

So would appreciate any advice any one can give in selecting a good, affordable system which is good in sound quality as well as in durability.

I have no quick answers for you, but I will recommend that you try to get the speakers as close to you as possible - in a near-field configuration. This is as opposed to mounting them high and far away in the room. Put them on stands and place the surrounds just behind the listening position, angled in at you (point the fronts at you as well.)

Give this a shot regardless of which of these smaller systems you purchase.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis