adding surround speakers

F

frank2532

Enthusiast
So I have posted here a few times saying I was just going to enjoy my 3.1 system, but I can’t control the itch for better sound. My current set up is stock Salk Song Towers, front ported Song Center, SVS SB-1000, powered by a Yamaha RX-A840. I would like to add RL and RR speakers which would have to be mounted to the wall because the layout of my living room can’t accommodate speaker stands. (12x15x8) The Salk Surround I’s are listed at $895 per pair but I would prefer to spend $300-$500 for the pair. Can someone recommend an alternative to the Song Surrounds that can be wall mounted in that price range?

Thanks again,

Frank

Last edited:
H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
The Salk Surround I’s are listed at $895 per pair but I would prefer to spend $300-$500 for the pair.
Frank, you have an amazing system now. If I started with that, and decided to expand 2 more channels, Plan A would be to wait to scrape up the extra $400 and stick with the Salks.

Plan B would be to write Dennis Murphy at http://philharmonicaudio.com/. Tell him what you have, what you want to do, and ask how he thinks his AA Monitor stacks up against the Salk Surrounds. (He will know, as he did the crossover design for both.) Keep in mind, even if they sound as good, they won't look the same, (match), your Salk L/C/R.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I kind of agree with what Herbu says, but at the same time applaud you for putting your money in the front 3 and not wanting to spend much on the surrounds (which typically have very little demanding sound content and usually are defaulted to crossover to sub at 80Hz by most AVR's).
I suspect the AA's would be a good match since both are voiced by Dennis Murphy's crossovers. However, they are not compact for easy wall mounting (I doubt the Salks ate either). You certainly can wall mount them, you just need to be sure to get solid heavy duty hardware for it. Also it would be easier if they were front ported.
The quality of the AA's sound is amazing!

If you are looking for an easier mount, here are some options:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/spksurround/speakers/surround/rear-speakers/1.html

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis