Adding sealed sub to ported set up

S

Stones

Audioholic Intern
I had extra gear and free time so I added a 12” sealed sub to a dual ported setup.
Ported subs are pb2000 pros , the sealed is a Polk car subwoofer powered by a Nile’s 2150 (500 rms ) amp.
I ran it through REW and it gave me a boost starting at about 50hz.
I curious if there are other factors I’m not considering beyond REW measurements .

Not really needed but I like to mess around with things and it seems to have made an improvement .
Blue line is with sealed added

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I had extra gear and free time so I added a 12” sealed sub to a dual ported setup.
Ported subs are pb2000 pros , the sealed is a Polk car subwoofer powered by a Nile’s 2150 (500 rms ) amp.
I ran it through REW and it gave me a boost starting at about 50hz.
I curious if there are other factors I’m not considering beyond REW measurements .

Not really needed but I like to mess around with things and it seems to have made an improvement .
Blue line is with sealed added
It seems you have an active imagination. Your data shows that car sub is effectively contributing zero. Car subs are poor quality and have a very different FR and sonic signature to domestic subs.

I would say what you have done is a downgrade and not to be recommended at all.

S

Stones

Audioholic Intern
It seems you have an active imagination. Your data shows that car sub is effectively contributing zero. Car subs are poor quality and have a very different FR and sonic signature to domestic subs.

I would say what you have done is a downgrade and not to be recommended at all.
Haha , my home theater is done . I just like to try stuff for fun.I had an amp and I had a sub so I gave it a try . The car sub isn’t something I expected to keep . Educate me on this if you don’t mind . If one was to add a quality sealed sub to ported set up to boost upper bass frequency’s would that be beneficial or do all sealed subs have a different fr and sonic signature then ported?

Thanks for responding to my nonsense.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Haha , my home theater is done . I just like to try stuff for fun.I had an amp and I had a sub so I gave it a try . The car sub isn’t something I expected to keep . Educate me on this if you don’t mind . If one was to add a quality sealed sub to ported set up to boost upper bass frequency’s would that be beneficial or do all sealed subs have a different fr and sonic signature then ported?

Thanks for responding to my nonsense.
No, your main speakers should be able to handle that. Also you will be getting up to a frequency where a custom crossover is mandatory and not a generic one.

S

Stones

Audioholic Intern
No, your main speakers should be able to handle that. Also you will be getting up to a frequency where a custom crossover is mandatory and not a generic one.
Thanks , I appreciate your time.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
You're already using multiple subs, which yields modal smoothing. Adding the car audio sub as a mid-bass-module gave marginally more output (your pic doesn't show the vertical scale) from 50 to 100 hz, but doesn't appear to have helped further with modal smoothing, and there is even some sort of cancellation at approx 130Hz or so, worse than without the car sub in the mix.

So, yeah, it seems like rather fruitless and pointless overcomplexification. (That seems often to be the case for those exploring the use of mbms, typically to compensate for inadequate mains or particularly egregious modal response.)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis