Adding Rears to make 7.2.4

J

JSP

Audioholic Intern
I’m new to asking questions here, but have long referred to the website and forum for my HT setup. I have read some related questions/answers similar to my issues, but am looking for some specifics and I’m sure others might have the same scenario as well. I currently have a 5.2.4 setup with paradigm di-poles for the surrounds. They are wall mounted and roughly 60” above the floor, which was spec when I installed them 4 years ago. I want to upgrade to a 7.2.4 setup and am confused about the rear speaker placement. I have paradigm atoms for the rears and will have to put them on stands, because the rear wall is 14 feet away from the couch, and I think that’s too far away to wall mount them. I believe Dolby now states the tweeters should all be at ear level or no more than 1.25x above the mains. If I do this for my rears on a 28” stand, the tweeter is at 38”, but the couch seat back blocks the speaker. If I get to where the tweeter clears the couch seat back height, it’s a 36” stand and the tweeter is at 46”. I’m assuming I don’t want the couch seat back to block the speaker, or is it better to stay within the new 1.25x Dolby specs? I also have 2 placement options for the rears. One is just under 5 feet back from the couch and the other is 8 1/2 feet back, does it make a difference either way? I would appreciate any help or feedback on the matter. Thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis