Adding an amp with 2 zone config, but lower volume habits.

D

drinke

Junior Audioholic
Current set up is old Yammy 863 driving Paradigm 40 v4 in office/main room and another set of 40 v3s in zone two (new set up, older gear). Zone 2 is about 30ft away. Generally both zones are used for music, but the main zone doubles for tv and movies (since the kids hog the living room).

Musical tastes are all over the place, but the volume is never really that loud, more ambient for parties, though I do try to enjoy some critical listening when I can. Sources vary from Pandora to cds. But while the volume stays pretty low, I am still not convinced the Yammy is up to the task and it has me wondering whether I would be well served to add an amp. I was thinking maybe the new four channel Emotiva Bass, but am open to suggestions.

I want improved sound quality (which for this purpose I would largely define as clarity and getting the full range of sound, it’s really this latter point). Maybe you all will say upgrade the avr, which is fair....I have a Marantz 5014 that I was thinking about using, but I am not sure that is a huge improvement over the power of the yammy.

Let me cut to the question: given my set up, listening habits and choice of avr, is it reasonable to expect an appreciable improvement in sound quality by adding an amp generally and specifically would the Emotiva be an adequate choice or are there other reasonable options to consider?

Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Adding an amp may give you a bit more clarity at higher spl, but hard to know just what your listening levels are let alone how far away you are from the speakers. However, if volumes aren't very high likely you don't need more amp. The Yamaha 863 and Marantz 5014 are roughly the same in terms of power, and most avrs vary only 1-2 dB spl difference really (and the Yamaha has a slightly higher rating of 105 wpc instead of 100 wpc in any case), so changing out avrs won't be meaningful (except perhaps for features/connectivity). Keep in mind it takes a doubling of amp power to gain merely 3dB spl. If you want to add amplification your Yamaha has pre-outs for external amps, where you can add significantly more powerful amps, but whether that relatively little extra output/headroom (say 3-6 dB depending on amp power) such might bring would be useful or not, hard to know.....

Try using this for some idea on what differences amp power may make at your listening levels http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

D

drinke

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the response. I cant provide a measurement for the level, but I would say I seldom listen above volumes at a level equivalent to loud talking. And in the main zone I am about 10 ft from the speaker and the room is 12x15x9ft in height, in zone 2 the distance is about 20 ft and that room is 17x35x9.

But what you are saying isn’t much of a surprise and it’s good to hear from folks who spend a lot more time on this than me, so thanks again!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for the response. I cant provide a measurement for the level, but I would say I seldom listen above volumes at a level equivalent to loud talking. And in the main zone I am about 10 ft from the speaker and the room is 12x15x9ft in height, in zone 2 the distance is about 20 ft and that room is 17x35x9.

But what you are saying isn’t much of a surprise and it’s good to hear from folks who spend a lot more time on this than me, so thanks again!
Try the apps that work best- they usually have some free ones, too

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

The 20 ft distance perhaps could use some help but from your description of loudness am thinking not. You could use that app highfigh linked or you could possibly just tell us the volume reading on your Yamaha if you calibrated the avr in setup (by using YPAO).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis