N

Nuglets

Full Audioholic
I have an Adcom GFA-5200 stereo amplifier that is not working right now. I'm not sure what the problem is...the left channel thermal protection comes on when I turn on the amp. It turns off for a second but goes through cycles of on and off every couple of seconds. What I am wondering is, since this amp is only rated at 50 watts per channel @ 8 Ohms, is it even worth getting it repaired? It was a relatively expensive amp and has a 600W max power consumption so I am assuming that the 50 watts is rated quite conservatively. Will this amp, if repaired, be more or less power to my rear channels than what my reciever (Yamaha RX-V1400) is giving them?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Nuglets said:
I have an Adcom GFA-5200 stereo amplifier that is not working right now. I'm not sure what the problem is...the left channel thermal protection comes on when I turn on the amp. It turns off for a second but goes through cycles of on and off every couple of seconds. What I am wondering is, since this amp is only rated at 50 watts per channel @ 8 Ohms, is it even worth getting it repaired? It was a relatively expensive amp and has a 600W max power consumption so I am assuming that the 50 watts is rated quite conservatively. Will this amp, if repaired, be more or less power to my rear channels than what my reciever (Yamaha RX-V1400) is giving them?
Try to disconnect the speakers and see if that Adcom still cycles through or stays on. That will tell you if the amp is bad, or the connections someplace, or speaker?

What is the power of that Yam? Speaker impedance?

N

Nuglets

Full Audioholic
Yes the amp does it without the speakers connected. It is definately bad. The Yamaha has 110 W per channel @ 8 Ohms, but the power consumption on the unit is 500 W total. What I am wondering is whether I should make an attempt to get the Adcom repaired? I don't know that much about power ratings but i'm under the impression that the adcom would be more powerful if the max consumtion is 600W for 2 channels rather than 500W total for 7 channels(3 in my case because of my external amp and I'm only using 5.1). Thank you.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Nuglets said:
Yes the amp does it without the speakers connected. It is definately bad. The Yamaha has 110 W per channel @ 8 Ohms, but the power consumption on the unit is 500 W total. What I am wondering is whether I should make an attempt to get the Adcom repaired? I don't know that much about power ratings but i'm under the impression that the adcom would be more powerful if the max consumtion is 600W for 2 channels rather than 500W total for 7 channels(3 in my case because of my external amp and I'm only using 5.1). Thank you.

Just to be sure, you disconnected the speaker wire from the amp, just in case there was a short in it to eliminate everything.

That 110W will be fine, not to worry. You will not need all that power instantly into all the channels at the same instant, so, you do retain the capability for dynamic peaks into any channel.

N

Nuglets

Full Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
Just to be sure, you disconnected the speaker wire from the amp, just in case there was a short in it to eliminate everything.

That 110W will be fine, not to worry. You will not need all that power instantly into all the channels at the same instant, so, you do retain the capability for dynamic peaks into any channel.
100% the amp is bad. Does it with nothing but the amp plugged in the wall. I know the 110W in the yamaha is a decent amount of power, but I have the Adcom and am wondering what you think would be more ideal(to get it fixed, or forget about it)? Reciever power or power amp? If the Adcom is as beefy as I think, I would like to get it fixed...but if it's truly 50w x 2 and it will be less than my yammi then I'll forget about it. I just feel like the yammi isn't cutting it for my monitor 11's in the rear during 5 channel stereo. I don't enjoy 5-channel stereo that much but I expect more from the 11's.

P.S.: My room is large...450+ ft/sq and 18' ceiling.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Nuglets said:
100% the amp is bad. Does it with nothing but the amp plugged in the wall. I know the 110W in the yamaha is a decent amount of power, but I have the Adcom and am wondering what you think would be more ideal(to get it fixed, or forget about it)? Reciever power or power amp? If the Adcom is as beefy as I think, I would like to get it fixed...but if it's truly 50w x 2 and it will be less than my yammi then I'll forget about it. I just feel like the yammi isn't cutting it for my monitor 11's in the rear during 5 channel stereo. I don't enjoy 5-channel stereo that much but I expect more from the 11's.

If you want an amp, your speaker is 8 ohms, check out the Behringer A500 for $180. In bridged mode, it has 300+ watts but you need two. Or, standard mode, stereo, it has 120 watts into 8 ohms and 160 into 4 ohms.

How much to repair that Adcom? ;) What's wrong with those 11s? What is its impedance? Did you level match the channels with an spl meter?

N

Nuglets

Full Audioholic
Yes they are level matched and sound good, but I feel the rears could sound more full in 5-channel. More bass to be specific. Everything is good, and I don't have any problems except a broken amp that I have to decide whether or not to get repaired. I am always looking for more stuff to upgrade my system and am wondering if the Adcom will be an upgrade? I'm not sure how much it would be to get repaired...I will e-mail Adcom today.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Nuglets said:
If you fix your amp and use it for the rear channels, the RX-V will have easier time powering only 3 speakers. The RX-V1400 does not specify a maximum power consumption so you cannot assume that 500W specified is maximum. The GFA-5200's 600 VA=480W assuming a p.f. of 0.8, is in fact specified as "maximum". If you listen to 5CH stereo, the RX-V1400 will more than likely not give you more than 50W rms to the rear channels. For movies, and mult-channel music (DVD-A, SACD) when not all channels are driven simultaneously to the same level, the RX-V1400 could deliver some high dynamic power to any channels. Still, using the GFA5200 for the rear channels can only help, just make sure you level match them.

C

calaverasgrande

Audiophyte
If you want an amp, your speaker is 8 ohms, check out the Behringer A500 for $180. In bridged mode, it has 300+ watts but you need two. Or, standard mode, stereo, it has 120 watts into 8 ohms and 160 into 4 ohms.

How much to repair that Adcom? ;) What's wrong with those 11s? What is its impedance? Did you level match the channels with an spl meter?
Behringer is junk. I do audio engineering (recording and live sound) and have seen quite a lot of their gear give up the ghost for no reason. That company has zero quality control on it power supplies. Which are a crucial part of a good amplifier.

H

HiFiGator

Audiophyte
Behringer is junk. I do audio engineering (recording and live sound) and have seen quite a lot of their gear give up the ghost for no reason. That company has zero quality control on it power supplies. Which are a crucial part of a good amplifier.
Tru dat!!! One of my college friends had Behringer, had it for one year before it "gave up the ghost"

A

awdio

Audioholic Intern
The adcom 5200 is 250 wpc not 50wpc. Every spec you have quoted is incorrect. Are you even sure you have an Adcom?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The adcom 5200 is 250 wpc not 50wpc. Every spec you have quoted is incorrect. Are you even sure you have an Adcom?
The manual I see for the GFA-5200 is 50wpc 8 ohm, 80wpc 4 ohm. Where do you get 250wpc?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

The Adcom is 50 wpc. Depending on how conservative they are with their specs you could expect maybe a little more than that. I skimmed ebay real quick and saw that same amp for ~$115 - 200.

Unless it's a cheap fix I don't see it being worth it. It's doubtful you would notice any difference outside your avr running a little cooler anyway.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis