Activision Considering Call of Duty Online Subscriptions

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Activision Considering Call of Duty Online Subscriptions

CEO Bobby Kotick says he'd like Call of Duty to be "an online subscription service."
By Frank Cifaldi, 06/21/2010

Call of Duty may become a subscription-based online service, if Activision CEO Bobby Kotick has anything to say about it.

Speaking candidly to The Wall Street Journal (via MCV), Kotick was asked "if you could snap your fingers, and instantly make one change in your company what would it be?"

"I would have Call of Duty be an online subscription service tomorrow," the executive replied. "When you think about what the audience's interests are and how you could really satisfy bigger audiences with more inspired, creative opportunities, I would love to see us have an online Call of Duty world. I think our players would just have so much of a more compelling experience."

This certainly isn't the first we've heard of Activision's ambitions to bring Call of Duty to the online subscription realm -- almost exactly a year ago, the company tested the waters by gauging player interest with an online survey, saying an online service would provide "gameplay enhancements" like premium access to new expansions, betas, game modes, character skins, and enhanced stat tracking.

Source: 1up

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
for xbox 360 users, online play already is sort of a subscription service, you have to pay to play. These companies are getting so greedy it just makes me sick.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I haven't played COD online in months, so I don't care. Charge all you want, I still won't play.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis