Acoustics startup - potential solution for loudspeaker woes?

High Frequency directivity in loudspeakers is

• A major problem - solving it will add significantly to my listening experience

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
M

Mir

Audiophyte
I am presently contemplating joining a startup where the idea is to provide acoustic dispersion of soundwaves using proprietary methods. One application: making high frequencies more dispersive or omni directional in loudspeakers, making off-axis imaging better. Example: instead of using multiple drivers to cast a wider image, using only 1 driver along with the startups solution.
I’m trying to get a sense of the magnitude of this problem (high frequency directivity for loudspeakers) for manufacturers and end consumers. If the problem is solved - will it be:
  • A nice-to-have iterative feature? OR
  • revolutionary - absolutely needed and people will be willing to pay a premium for it?
[Assume for now, that everything works and is better than existing methods like acoustic reflectors :) ].

Thank you!

Last edited:
Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

Enthusiast
What do you mean by "off-axis imaging"? Do you mean imaging for listeners who are outside of the sweet spot? Bose is famous for their direct/reflecting technology in the 70's and 80's with their 301/501/601/901 series of speakers, which used multiple drivers pointing in different directions to increase full-range omnidirectionality. I've owned all of those models. It improved spaciousness but did nothing for imaging.

M

Mir

Audiophyte
What do you mean by "off-axis imaging"? Do you mean imaging for listeners who are outside of the sweet spot? Bose is famous for their direct/reflecting technology in the 70's and 80's with their 301/501/601/901 series of speakers, which used multiple drivers pointing in different directions to increase full-range omnidirectionality. I've owned all of those models. It improved spaciousness but did nothing for imaging.
That's right BK....I was speaking of imaging outside the sweet spot. Thanks for your response,

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
This looks pretty good all around. Measurements taking at on axis, 30, and then 80 deg.
BMRSept12 Combined On-Axis,30,80.png

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I voted “no problem” because I’ve always avoided speakers with laser-like, pin-point imaging. I expect others are voting the same way because there are no shortage of speakers with excellent high frequency dispersion. I’ll guess we’ll have to hear what your startup develops for comparison.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

M

Mir

Audiophyte
I voted “no problem” because I’ve always avoided speakers with laser-like, pin-point imaging. I expect others are voting the same way because there are no shortage of speakers with excellent high frequency dispersion. I’ll guess we’ll have to hear what your startup develops for comparison.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Hi Wayne, thanks for your response. For the uninitiated/newbies like me, could you point me to some speakers that have excellent dispersion which you have experience with? I'll then dig into how many drivers they're using to achieve that result. If we could achieve the same result with one driver, it could translate to cost savings for the manufacturer. Or at least that would be the theory.

Aside: A short intro to acoustic meta materials

NorseMythology

NorseMythology

Junior Audioholic
Fascinating stuff, metamaterials have a lot of promise IMO.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I am presently contemplating joining a startup where the idea is to provide acoustic dispersion of soundwaves using proprietary methods. One application: making high frequencies more dispersive or omni directional in loudspeakers, making off-axis imaging better. Example: instead of using multiple drivers to cast a wider image, using only 1 driver along with the startups solution.
I’m trying to get a sense of the magnitude of this problem (high frequency directivity for loudspeakers) for manufacturers and end consumers. If the problem is solved - will it be:
  • A nice-to-have iterative feature? OR
  • revolutionary - absolutely needed and people will be willing to pay a premium for it?
[Assume for now, that everything works and is better than existing methods like acoustic reflectors :) ].

Thank you!
The only way to get imaging outside of the sweet spot that I know of is to use time-intensity trading, and that means tightly controlled directivity speakers.

Making high frequencies disperse at a wider angle will not improve imaging outside of the sweet spot. It won't hurt at all, but it won't help either.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis