Acoustic treatment Help

M

mirage1

Enthusiast
I would like to start adding acoustic treatments to my room & was wondering what you folks would do in this odd shaped room I have all Mirage speakers & it sounds pretty awesome but I believe it could sound even better with the right treatment. My floor plan is on webshots

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
The acoustics primer here on the home page should be your first stop. Read some of the stuff there first.

You have a very interesting room, that provides some unique challenges, but nothing too horrible.

First off, I would consider moving everything 90 degrees so that the video and main speakers are on the long wall.

Nice goldens! How the heck did you get the three of them to line up for that portrait? It seems like it would be hard enough for one!

M

mirage1

Enthusiast
I will take a look at the primer & see how the room looks rotated 90 degrees do you think I should go with absorption or diffusion or combo of both? Would a frequency chart of my speakers help? As to my Labrador retrievers (Not Goldens) I put a lot of time into training they have multiple titles in obedience, hunt tests, they are also are show champions & therapy dogs

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
One thing I'd do is get some heavy drapes over those windows. There's good info at Rives Audio and Realtraps.com. Read and ask around. Room treatment will help significantly. Bass traps are also a good idea, a real good idea as a matter of fact. Go to those sites and read. Acoustic treatment has a very good sound improvement per dollar ratio. Not only that you'll be surprised how much better your system can sound. Until the room is done as much as possible save your money before upgrading anything, including speakers.

M

mirage1

Enthusiast
I have blinds & medium weight drapes over the windows I have read most of these sites & I guess the question is how many panels 1" or 2" & placement or is it hit & miss

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
I'm not sure what panels you are referring to but thicker is better. I have the front of my room covered with 3" and 4" acoustic wedge foam. This includes the entire front wall and the side walls and ceiling 5' out into the room. This is called LEDE or live end dead end. My room is 12x17 and the system is on a short wall. The floor is concrete slab with thick carpet pad under carpeting. How much latitude do you have with that room's decor?

M

mirage1

Enthusiast
I am going to use Owens Corning 703 it comes either 1" or 2" thick x 4' x 2' I can not cover the front wall at all because it is all windows & remember I have Mirage speakers & they are omnipolar

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
The Owens Corning is a great idea. Do use the 2" as it costs little anyway. You'll have to experiment. The LEDE concept has been argued that the dead end of the room should be behind the listeners. If you do some experimentation you'll definitely be able to make a good improvement in your sound quality. You're definitely on the right track. Am looking forward to how things work out so please let us know. Thanks

S

SRL Acoustics

Enthusiast
Actually the LEDE concept has the dead end at the front (speakers) side of the room with the rear (behind the listener) having diffusion.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis