about to buy a kenwood vr7080 any comments

N

novice

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I have decided to build a home theatre. I would appreciate any advice on any of the components.
Items I currently have:
booze acoustimass 5 for fronts
I bought two single cube booze for the rears
I purchased an rca drs700n dvd progressive scan (only because I plan to get the rca television, probably a big mistake??)
Items I intend to purchase in the next month:
Kenwood vr 7080 (I have a kenwood 200 disc cd player and only intended to match brands)
booze vs-10 center channel
RCA hdlp50w151 (50&quot; with dlp)</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>vr7080 has many terrible reviews from owners.  It fries.  It burns up.  I have looked at reviews for this receiver and others.  6060 and 6070 have good reviews.
Otherwise, you might consider Onkyo TXSR601 or Sony STRDA1000ES or NAD T742 or HK AVR 325 or Denon AVR1803 - 2803.  Not impressed by Yamahas (740 and 1400).
I am looking for a receiver myself; have been for 2 months or so; found few ops to listen, then found lousy or no sound rooms.  Everyone sells car stereos.
Have listened to Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony.  Yamahas sound flat, muffled.  Onky crisp, clear, solid; channels separate.  Listened to Sony once, sounded much better than Yamahas.
Weighing Sony and Onkyo.  Have not checked out NAD or HK, except to find out HK's tend to run hot.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I bought the Kenwood 7070 in December '03 and I haven't had any problems with it so far. &nbsp;As I understand it, the 7070 is identical to the 7080 except it has a Kenwood remote instead of the expensive non-Kenwood remote utilized by the 7080. &nbsp;Personally, I couldn't justify paying more than $100 more for a different remote. &nbsp;

I have noticed that the Kenwood runs a bit warmer (hotter?) than the Sony receiver it replaced. &nbsp;I simply moved a shelf on my rack to give the 7070 more breathing room. &nbsp;The running temperature hasn't been a problem yet.

I love the Kenwood 7070. &nbsp;There are more than enough connections on the back, a video/audio set on the front, it decodes virtually every digital source (or at least all I think I need it to), and the remote controls all my other gear. &nbsp;Well, except for my Sony 200-CD changer. &nbsp;The manual doesn't list any Sony CD players in the remote section, but it lists just about every other player. &nbsp;Since you have a Kenwood changer, this shouldn't be a problem for you.

If you can stand the risk, you can save money by ordering the Kenwood 7070 on-line. &nbsp;Several e-tailers list them around $300 or so. &nbsp;That's more than 25% cheaper than any b&amp;m store. &nbsp;But, as mentioned in another thread, there's a warranty risk issue when you buy from some e-tailers.

Good Luck</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>First off, unlike the other gentleman who posted here, I happen to like Yamaha. Im looking for a new receiver myself &amp; have only heard the Kenwood at circuit city. They tend to have cheaper models so I dont know if I heard the model your talking about but I didn't care for it. There is a lot on sale right now so Id use the info on this site &amp; see if you can find a recommended unit for a discounted price.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I might add that Ive had a Sony receiver &amp; would not buy one again. They seem to be cheaply powered, even the ES models. Probably OK with added amps.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis