A/V system birth pains

J

Juanmaize

Audiophyte
Okay!

Great stuff from the forum. Thanks for all of your input and experience.
I definitely feel the pain of being out of the audio industry as well as the video component industry for 25 years.

This is what I have so far.

Hitachi 70vs810 television...too cool!
Denon 4806 a/v Receiver
Monster power HTPS 7000 Surge/filter

Now where do I proceed for choosing a DVD player of which I have the yamaha 2500 in mind as well as the CD changer/player.

Speakers: I want to enjoy DVD movies, surround sound and of course Muzak.
(30 years of RUSH anyone)

I enjoyed Klipsch back when Klipsch was a substantial speaker line. (reference series)

The world has changed since those amazing days of yesteryear and now we have center channels, left, right, front, back, surround, etc, etc.

To Subwoofer or not to subwoofer. Please fill me in on speaker/subwoofer brands, etc!

What other toys would I need to add to this system or at the least "Dream a little Dream."

God...How easy it was to purchase a Yamaha power amp, pre-amp, Carver tuner and the basic tape player and cd player and then all you had to worry about was buying 4 speakers. Two Heresy's for the front and two for
the back.

This system is just way too cool.

Please feel free to shoot down or change any of these components as this is truly the birth of my A/V system which happens every quarter century.

Cheers and many Thanks.

Juan

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
You could have saved a pile of money in this area, why would you spend so much on a "monster" product and sacrifice on what really matters?

X

Xsound

Full Audioholic
If you are looking for a DVD player to pair with the Denon 4806, Definitely look at one of the higher line Denon DVD players. Denon makes good players, and you get the benefit of D-link.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Juanmaize said:
Okay!

Great stuff from the forum. Thanks for all of your input and experience.
I definitely feel the pain of being out of the audio industry as well as the video component industry for 25 years.

This is what I have so far.

Hitachi 70vs810 television...too cool!
Denon 4806 a/v Receiver

Now where do I proceed for choosing a DVD player of which I have the yamaha 2500 in mind as well as the CD changer/player.

Speakers: I want to enjoy DVD movies, surround sound and of course Muzak.

I enjoyed Klipsch back when Klipsch was a substantial speaker line. (reference series)

The world has changed since those amazing days of yesteryear and now we have center channels, left, right, front, back, surround, etc, etc.

To Subwoofer or not to subwoofer. Please fill me in on speaker/subwoofer brands, etc!

What other toys would I need to add to this system or at the least "Dream a little Dream."

God...How easy it was to purchase a Yamaha power amp, pre-amp, Carver tuner and the basic tape player and cd player and then all you had to worry about was buying 4 speakers. Two Heresy's for the front and two for
the back.

This system is just way too cool.

Please feel free to shoot down or change any of these components as this is truly the birth of my A/V system which happens every quarter century.

Cheers and many Thanks.

Juan
Juan,

Are you saying you've "decided on" these components, or actually went out and purchased them today? I'm a little confused by your post. I didn't know the Denon was available just yet.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=72433#post72433

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Privateer said:
You could have saved a pile of money in this area, why would you spend so much on a "monster" product and sacrifice on what really matters?
I don't think the purchase was made yet. I could be mistaken.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah Monster is expensive, but their power conditioners are damn good. Of course, I would personally opt for a bar-style power conditioner from Tripp-Lite. Their top-end HT bar is about $170 online (from Parts Express). But, if you want balanced power (a lot of studios use such a setup, it really helps with guitar amps), then it's a good choice. All of the other balanced power conditioners that I know of (Furman and Equitech) are in the same price range or higher. I personally think that it's overkill, but that's your choice. That said, I think a good power conditioner is a must (Panamax, Tripp-Lite, Furman, APC, Belkin, all good choices). APC has just come out with a new HT power conditioner with optional battery backup that you might look into. Just for your info, basically every data center that needs rock-solid reliability, power conditioning, and surge supression uses APC as their backbone.

Since you're going to be watching movies, then a subwoofer is a must. Movies are designed to send low frequency information to the subwoofer channel. Besides, it's hard to find any speaker in a sane price range that will do 20Hz solidly, let alone the subsonic effects in some of the newer movies. Subwoofers to look into would be Hsu, Velodyne,SVS, and others. Depending how big your room is, SVS might be your best bet. Their 12-in subs have monster output and will literally shake the house. Even their bottom-end 10-in sub will do 20Hz at over 90dB anechoically (and it costs $429 plus shipping).

For speakers, it really depends on your budget and room size. It also depends on how you like to listen. If you like your music LOUD, then you might need beefier speakers than someone with the same room that is more into quieter listening.

V

VolksyGTI

Enthusiast
Juan...Welcome to the forum :)

Regarding the subwoofer: if you want HT, then a sub is an absolute must, as jaxvon said above.
You have 2 options here-either buy a brand carried only by a local Brick and Mortar dealer (Velodyne, Rel, M&k, etc), or buy an online-only brand like SVS, ACI, HSU. The thing to keep in mind is that in general you would pay approx. 80 to 100% as much for something you would buy at a B&M retailer compared to an online-only brand, for the same quality product.
I used to own a M&K MX 125 (paid $1299 for it in 1996) and about a month ago, after many weeks of research online, I got a SVS PB12-Ultra/2 for $1999. I can tell you without any exageration that was the best addition to my HT system EVAR !!!! I would have had to spend at least $4k at a local retailer for the same amount of performance SVS is offering. Definitely look at all the online manufacturers like SVS, HSU or ACI (audio concepts inc). They all make fantastic products and I believe the main thing that differentiates the 3, is the depth of product offered. Just do some reading on their websites, and see which one appeals to you the most, then call or email their customer support and see what they recomend for your speciffic application.
I wholeheartedly would recommend SVS, but what can I say...since I already own one, I am indeed biased here :D

Last edited:
Z

Zarg

Junior Audioholic
Some More Thoughts

Hey Juan,

I agree that a sub is an absolute must. Get it before you get your other speakers! That's how important it is.

With respect to your DVD player, I personally would not spend a lot of money on one right now. (Says the guy who dropped $1,100 on one last year, but whatever...) With the new formats "right around the corner" I expect prices on the traditional red laser players to continue to drop. That being said, a universal player seems to be the way to go, if you can afford it.

Speakers are a matter of personal preference. Axiom Audio and Paradigm are widely touted on this forum, as are a number of other brands. What you want to do, it seems to me, is to grab a couple of CDs and movies and head to a local dealer. Have them hook up different speaker combos to a Denon 3805 and see which set(s) you like -- but remember, the speakers will almost certainly sound different when you get them home, since the acoustics in your room will vary from that in the showroom.

Anyway, enjoy your adventure!

J

Juanmaize

Audiophyte
Thank You!

Great information and quidance from all of you!

The Tripp Lite is an excellent idea and allows me to invest dollars elsewhere. Too Cool!

I haven't tackled the DVD and CD player yet as I am merely throwing together
the eventual shopping list right now. Good info on the Hurry up and wait regarding the new models, etc!!!

Denon receiver....Denon DVD makes sense!

I looked at the Axiom products and would love to Demo a set but for now the Axiom Epic 80 - 600 looks to be quite the system and it has made my list until I can demo other brands.

So....Within the next three weeks I hope to nail down the complete system and purchase the:

Hitachi 70vs810 HDTV
Denon 4806 A/V receiver
Denon DVD - to be decided
CD player - to be decided
Tripp-lite surge/power filter
axiom Epic 80 600 Home theater speaker system.

Any ideas for the Cherry on top of this pie? (additional equipment, etc)
What am I missing besides Demo times. PLEASE CONTINUE TO EDUCATE ME!
Cables......etc!

The forum has been great, again "Thank You."

Cheers,

Juan

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Juanmaize said:

RUSH! :D Right on! :D

Stay away from Sony DVD players, imho, anything that SONY makes is bad...

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Not everything sony is bad. Their PS2 system, while not the most reliable piece of hardware has a lot of good games. Their Wega CRT TVs are basically a benchmark for performance. And their studio headphones (MDR-7506 or V6) are also the industry standard.

For speakers, you might also want to try the Rockets from AV123. They are really really pretty and also highly praised.

Cables...

For speaker cables, you pick up some good 14/2 or 12/2 from Wal-Mart for cheap. If you want to go major overkill, Westlake Electronic carries 10ga Belden speaker cable for under 30 cents a foot. I believe Gene is using this cable all over his house for his installed sound (but I'm not 100% on that). As far as interconnects go, Acoustic Research and Phillips Gold are good options, as are the offerings from Blue Jeans and Impact Acoustics.

T

tuuney

Enthusiast
Juanmaize said:
Great information and quidance from all of you!

The Tripp Lite is an excellent idea and allows me to invest dollars elsewhere. Too Cool!

I haven't tackled the DVD and CD player yet as I am merely throwing together
the eventual shopping list right now. Good info on the Hurry up and wait regarding the new models, etc!!!

Denon receiver....Denon DVD makes sense!
..............-----------

Denon DVD - to be decided
CD player - to be decided
Tripp-lite surge/power filter
axiom Epic 80 600 Home theater speaker system.

Any ideas for the Cherry on top of this pie? (additional equipment, etc)
What am I missing besides Demo times. PLEASE CONTINUE TO EDUCATE ME!
Cables......etc!

The forum has been great, again "Thank You."

Cheers,

Juan
Juan - Just wonder why you should have to buy both CD AND DVD player since the DVD player can play both format, yet not mention about MP3 and others as well.

J

Juanmaize

Audiophyte
Cd/dvd/etc

Great Question!!!!!

Old School....

Thanks for pointing that out as I was looking at DVD players and separate multiple cd changers instead of a combination of both.

MP3...I'm in!

Juan

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
Id definatly say Blue Jeans Cables for youre interconnects. It sounds like youre puting together a very nice system and its a waste to not get good cables. Not to mention that BJC is not all that expensive. Just my opinion though and dont forget pics when its all up and running.

Sean

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Cygnus said:
RUSH! :D Right on! :D

Stay away from Sony DVD players, imho, anything that SONY makes is bad...
No way man, their 19" series 95 PC monitors with the tv tuner are the bomb. Pricey, but if you want the best, there is no comparison. Heck, my new Canon SD400 digital camera uses a Sony TFT active display. Most Canon digital cameras use Sony lcd displays. Their HD CRT's are among the best, too. Now as far as audio... :(

http://www.shopzilla.com/12--SONY_SDM_HS95P_S_19_LCD_Monitor_-_cat_id--416__prod_id--289746905__sfsk--5

Z

Zarg

Junior Audioholic
Por que CD Player??

Why buy a separate CD player. If you get a Denon universal player, it will play CDs. For that matter, I'm pretty sure that any DCD player will play your CDs.

I'm sure there are some purists out there who need separate players but, truly, why bother? But that's just me...

Z

Zarg

Junior Audioholic
Must Fix Typo...

Um, I did not just invent a new piece of equipment. There is no such thing as a DCD player. No really. I meant DVD player, of course.

** goes off to file a quick patent **

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis