A/V Receiver Video Inputs

R

roryshea

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>This might be a really dumb question, but is there a benefit to connecting my video equipment (ie DVD player) through my receiever as opposed to directly through my TV? If my TV already has a component input, what do I gain by running the DVD component out through the receiver?</font>

D

dis

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>It could be argued that by going through your amp your increasing the amount of cables and connections and hence degrading the signal.

Personally I go through the amp only because I you switch between to components at the touch of a button.

In my case my TV has only one set of component inputs so it becomes a pain to manually switch cables when I use my xbox or standalone DVD player.</font>

S

steve

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>roryshea,

I don't think you've asked a silly question at all. &nbsp;Actually, this question is quite commen. &nbsp;The answer is really dependant on your setup and your TV.

My preference is to minimize the number of connections and the number of cables I have to purchase. &nbsp;In Reference System 2, I connect the DVD Player directly to the TV. &nbsp;If your receiver/processor offers upconversion to component video, then it is definately beneficial to run all video through the unit. &nbsp;But if not, I'd go direct.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis