A/V Playback Software

Gryfter

Gryfter

Audioholic Intern
I was just wondering what most of you use to play your FLAC and other lossless music files as well as what you use to play back .X264 and other HD video files?

I'll finally be hooking my PC up to a competent home theater system and I have the feeling WMP won't cut it. I do use VLC and media player Classic occasionally but I'm curious if there is better out there?

B

Ben_in_COSpring

Junior Audioholic
Everybody seems to sing praises of VLC, but I've never had good luck with it.

XBMC and MediaPortal are good for dedicated HTPC's. I use WinAmp on my workstation.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Never had a problem with any of those cept VLC.

VLC uses its internal codecs for decoding. MPC uses whatever codecs you have installed, as will WMP. Some occassional media doesn't play right in VLC. Everything plays right using "ffdshow tryouts" or even more comprehensively "CCCP".

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
VLC has worked wonders for me, but I also have the CCCP and K-lite codec packs installed as well as ffdshow. As far as .flac files, winamp plays them, but I usually convert all my .flac files into VBR .mp3 files using dbpoweramp music converter since everything out there will play .mp3 files, and I usually stream .mp3 files from my media pc using my xbox 360, PS3.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Audioholic Intern
I've been using the K-Lite mega codec pack for years now (and CCC before that) and have never had a problem playing anything between the 3 media players listed above I was just wondering if there was something better suited for "audiophile" level playback but it looks to me like there isn't and if that's the case things are fine the way they are and I'm all set.

Thanks for the replies.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis