A suitable Receiver?

T

thetoe

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Am looking into the LSi series speakers from polk audio, and am having trouble finding receiver info stating that it will handle the 4ohm impedance on all 5 channels, or at least have only seen one manufacture spec. clearly saying their receiver will handle 4ohms on all channels, that being yamaha. &nbsp;I would like more of a selection then just one brand, but trying to find load specs (that isn't 8 ohm) off manufacture sites is driving me crazy. &nbsp;Any suggestions for suitable receivers for these speakers would be greatly appreciated. &nbsp;

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Thanks,
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;T.T.</font>

J

JCC21K

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hi T. T.
The Denon 2800 Series and above (3800s, 4800s)
will handle the 4 Ohm speakers.
I'm not sure of the other regular well-known brands.
The less widely popular brands such as NAD and
Rotel are happy on 4 Ohm loads.
Regards
J.C.</font>

L

LongBinh6

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>thetoe,

This question about 4 ohm and 8 ohm speakers comes up all the time. &nbsp;It is not a cut and dried answer. &nbsp;The impedence (ohms) varies with in an individual speaker depending on the fequencies. &nbsp;In other words, it might be 7 ohms at one frequency and 3.9 ohms and another frequency. &nbsp;It is very complicated. &nbsp;Just know that the ohm rating is a stated but very general rating. &nbsp;

There are UL listing questions and some manufacturers put a 4/8 ohm switch on the back of their receivers to satify the UL requirements and other manufacturers only list a 6 ohm rating so that they don't have to use the switch. &nbsp;I know this sounds all sort of confusing. &nbsp;This website, Audioholics.com on their home page has some very good articles and answers to FAQ's that cover this subject. &nbsp;Search thru these links and you will find lots of good info.

All quality receivers in the mid and above class (say from about $750 and up) will drive most normal 4 ohm speakers under normal situations with no problem (all channels driven). &nbsp; Some exotic models such as planar or electrostic speakers might be an exception. &nbsp;Many cheaper receivers will also drive 4ohm loads.

The impedence question is over emphasized by most buyers. &nbsp;Just make sure the receiver gets lots of ventilation room and that you don't run 4 ohm listed speakers in parallel. &nbsp;If you get a receiver with a 4/8 ohm switch, ignore it and leave it in the 8 ohm position regardless of the listed impedence rating of the speaker.

LB6 &nbsp;

</font>

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis