A few New additions....

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Well Friday was a good delivery day... I got my replacement Sound Panel... one of the first ones was warped, so they replaced it, no questions asked.... I am thrilled with the service and quality of ATS acousitcs... panels are attractive and well made.

Second: I got a set of ADP-590's (only needed 1) which I setup temporarily on a speaker stand... level matched it, and ran some THX & DD trailers...
I was concerned with the rear corner placement as to whether it was just not going to work right... (side firing directly into the walls) PIC
Well I have to say, the envelope of sound is spectacular, with the front firing 7.5" woofer and twin side firing mid's and tweets, the reflection of sound off the walls expands the rear area finally enveloping the listening positions. The sound from identically matched Paradigm Studios is thick and powerful.
I have said many times, that I didn't think that rear surrounds or anything more then 5.1 were not all that necessary, but I will recant my words, proving myself wrong because it sounds amazing with the full expanse coming from every direction..

Finally: I got my Velodyne SMS-1 in and got it hooked up...
I first ran just my single PB12-Plus/2 and found it very difficult to flatten out, serious room nulls in the 40-50 hz range. which tells me that a single sub in this room will be very difficult to live with. I then turned on my PB12-Plus, for a dual sub environment (not-collocated) and ran some more sweeps... in both the 16hz and 20hz modes, just trying to get a little more antiquated with this system and how much tweaking you can do. Its a slick system to anyone who hasn't seen or used a Velo DD sub or SMS-1.

At first I forgot that I had changed my X/over to 60hz which made it extremly hard to fix the problems I had in the 60 to 80hz range (peaks before and aft.) After changing X/over to 80hz, everything fell into place perfectly. Trying not to boost too much while dropping the peaks resulted in an almost completely flat FR from 20 to 200hz +/- 3-4 hz hear and there.

So far I find this weeks additions have netted some amazing results that I am very happy I added... And further tweaking to the subs FR will only make things better. Thanks for tuning in to this weeks edition of the Warpdrv Show.

BTW, I will be Selling a Single Paradigm ADP-590, if anyone is interested. Pm me...

Warp

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Did you find that running both subs attenuated the peaks at all before you did any tweaking or was the FR roughly the same with one sub or two?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Last night was the first time I had a chance to fiddle around with the SMS.
I still have alot of tweeking to do... I have to go through alot of setup.. for now I just did some simple setup.

I did infact try running just 1 sub first to see the difference of just a single sub in that room, and there were major differences there. Adding the second sub in that room levels quite a bit of things on its own. But let me remind you that I do not have a rectangular room. My ceilings are vaulted from 8ft up to almost 20ft on the opposite wall. Its a rather large room, 8200^3 that is open to other areas. So I don't have the standing waves of a normal rectangular room would have. I will post screenshots of my setup when I have more time.

Outlaw has a great setup guide that goes way more into depth then the manual explained, which I found very helpful...
http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/sms1guide.pdf

And Secret's has a great review that explains a great deal on the SMS as well. http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_4/velodyne-sms1-digital-drive-sub-manager-12-2005-part-1.html

There are really only 2 screens to work with, but the second page is loaded with a bunch of things to tweak that I have yet to seriously buckle down a adjust.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_4/images/velodyne-sms1-017.jpg
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_4/images/velodyne-sms1-018.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis