A different approach to bass trapping?

sleepysurf

sleepysurf

Junior Audioholic
I have a unique family/listening room layout, and wondering if it's possible to add bass traps in a non-standard location. My room is 18' x 21' (HDTV, console cabinet, and speakers on short wall) with sloping 10-12' cathedral ceilings (see attached pic). My speakers are ML Summits, positioned ~4 1/2' from front wall, and ~5 ft from side walls. Listening position is from our couch, roughly 12' from speakers. Functionally, there is no back wall, since room opens fully into 18' x 14' kitchen (see 2nd pic). With this setup, the overall soundstage is wide, deep, with excellent imaging. My only problem is persistent bass boominess ~30-70 Hz, likely from nodes/nulls which I can't fully attenuate despite the Summits manual bass adjustments (+/-10dB at 25 and 50 Hz). I believe I just need some good bass trapping to manage this, BUT because of an arched hallway entry at the right corner, and limited space on the left, there is no place for tube traps in the corners. WAF issues absolutely preclude placing any large bass traps elsewhere, IF THEY ARE VISIBLE. So, I'm wondering if it's possible to either...
1) "hide" a large custom-sized FLAT bass-trap panel (say 2' x 6' x 5") BEHIND the A/V cabinet, or
2) "stuff" some bass-absorbing material in the hollow bottom of the couch (see pic).

I have just ordered a Denon 3808ci, with Audyssey MultiEQ XT, which I'll use only for video/surround mode, but I doubt it will correct those bass issues.

Would either of the above ideas actually work? If not, I'm open to all other WAF-friendly suggestions?

Attachments

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Welcome to my exact problem. Heck you are lucky; no way my wife would let me have my speakers out that far. I have no back wall and I cant figure out what to do either.

I have a unique family/listening room layout, and wondering if it's possible to add bass traps in a non-standard location. My room is 18' x 21' (HDTV, console cabinet, and speakers on short wall) with sloping 10-12' cathedral ceilings (see attached pic). My speakers are ML Summits, positioned ~4 1/2' from front wall, and ~5 ft from side walls. Listening position is from our couch, roughly 12' from speakers. Functionally, there is no back wall, since room opens fully into 18' x 14' kitchen (see 2nd pic). With this setup, the overall soundstage is wide, deep, with excellent imaging. My only problem is persistent bass boominess ~30-70 Hz, likely from nodes/nulls which I can't fully attenuate despite the Summits manual bass adjustments (+/-10dB at 25 and 50 Hz). I believe I just need some good bass trapping to manage this, BUT because of an arched hallway entry at the right corner, and limited space on the left, there is no place for tube traps in the corners. WAF issues absolutely preclude placing any large bass traps elsewhere, IF THEY ARE VISIBLE. So, I'm wondering if it's possible to either...
1) "hide" a large custom-sized FLAT bass-trap panel (say 2' x 6' x 5") BEHIND the A/V cabinet, or
2) "stuff" some bass-absorbing material in the hollow bottom of the couch (see pic).

I have just ordered a Denon 3808ci, with Audyssey MultiEQ XT, which I'll use only for video/surround mode, but I doubt it will correct those bass issues.

Would either of the above ideas actually work? If not, I'm open to all other WAF-friendly suggestions?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I seriously doubt that your plan will do much good. You need to place the traps where it will do the most good, not just anywhere.
Wait for that Audyssey and see what it will do for you. If not enough, I would recommend the Behringer Feedback Destroyer that has 2 ch with 12 user designated frequency manipulations in each channel and in the digital domain. This can do wonders to those peaks.

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
If you can pull the equipment rack out a little and get a nice slab back there, it will help a little. Realistically, when you look at the square footage of that vs the size of the room, it's a drop in the bucket - but hey, do what you can.

Under the couch isn't going to do diddly - sorry.

Now, for another thought that is visible but out of the way and may be acceptable. What about some panels up high, parallel with the floor, and spanning the peak of the ceiling. Do this in a fabric that is very light in color so they'd blend with the ceiling pretty well. Just a thought.

Bryan

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Now, for another thought that is visible but out of the way and may be acceptable. What about some panels up high, parallel with the floor, and spanning the peak of the ceiling. Do this in a fabric that is very light in color so they'd blend with the ceiling pretty well. Just a thought.

Bryan
On that note, you could put triangular pieces all around the wall/ceiling corners and disguise it as crown molding with some nice wood trim framing the cloth.

F

FguerraG

Junior Audioholic
Gik Acoustics Tri-Trap Style Bass Trap from floor to ceiling on your left corner if done correctly and upholstered in style it will blend with your room decor, also get rid of the leather sofa, buy a nice upholstered one that actually absorbs some frequency , it will not be ideal but it will help a lot.

other than that you'll have to talk to the wife :eek:

sleepysurf

sleepysurf

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for all the suggestions! Unfortunately, the leather couch is new, so it's not gonna be replaced anytime soon. Can't use tri-traps in the left corner, as that's only place my sub fits, plus wife would nix them, as well as treatments high up on the wall. As it stands, my bass problem is tolerable, so hopefully the Audyssey, plus discrete bass trap "slabs" behind the audio rack and cabinet, will tame it further.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for all the suggestions! Unfortunately, the leather couch is new, so it's not gonna be replaced anytime soon. Can't use tri-traps in the left corner, as that's only place my sub fits, plus wife would nix them, as well as treatments high up on the wall. As it stands, my bass problem is tolerable, so hopefully the Audyssey, plus discrete bass trap "slabs" behind the audio rack and cabinet, will tame it further.
Behringer feedback is your answer:D

Savant

Savant

Audioholics Resident Acoustics Expert
If it helps at all, your couch doesn't need to be stuffed with anything. It already absorbs bass and since it's leather, it absorbs about as much bass as it ever will.

Of course, it is not likely to absorb near enough bass, and the other feedback you've received on flat panels, putting bass traps where they need to be, etc., is all good advice. (Goes without saying! :) )

gullfo

gullfo

Enthusiast
another option could be to build out a 2' deep x 1' high soffit over the TV and/or the back wall as well. it would be decorative enough and big enough to do some trapping.

Glenn Kuras

Glenn Kuras

Full Audioholic
DARN WIFE!!:D

As far as the leather couch, FguerraG is right on the money. I also have a nice leather couch, so what I do is put a nice heavy blanket on it to help stop any kind of nasty reflections coming off of it.

Glenn

gullfo

gullfo

Enthusiast
you could install my patented Couch Riser Bass Trap® system :D

Glenn Kuras

Glenn Kuras

Full Audioholic
you could install my patented Couch Riser Bass Trap® system :D

I can tell you that I can talk my girl into a couple bass traps in the corner way before I can sell her that the couch is now on a stage.:eek: :D

Glenn

gullfo

gullfo

Enthusiast
you put the couch on the riser, behind the couch up front - theater style seating :rolleyes:

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
So the first couch is blocking the riser that has the acoustic treatment built in?...ummm....
you put the couch on the riser, behind the couch up front - theater style seating :rolleyes:

Glenn Kuras

Glenn Kuras

Full Audioholic
Oh, I can see how that might work well. :)

Glenn I did not even know that was you (I see you picture is up)!!! Everyone gullfo hangs out at some of the other acoustic forums and is ONE HELL OF A GUY. This guy knows his stuff. :)

Welcome!!

Glenn

sleepysurf

sleepysurf

Junior Audioholic
The couch-riser bass trap is a GREAT idea, but wouldn't work in our family room! Adding LOTS of heavy throws to the couch (and elsewhere) is also great idea, which I'm sure my wife will embrace.

BTW, I just got my Denon 3808CI yesterday, and hopefully will have time to set it up and start playing with Audyssey this weekend!

sleepysurf

sleepysurf

Junior Audioholic
Finally found some time to run the Audyssey MultiEQ, and I'm very impressed! In Home Theater mode (with the Denon pre-out driving my mains via my Belles amp) the bass nodes/nulls are significantly smoothed out, and overall balance with center and surrounds much improved. I only had time to run a single set of measurements so far, and can probably improve upon the correction further, by tweaking my sub phase adjustment.

Of course, the bass problem persists when listening in pure two-channel mode (just using my tube pre and amp). As good as the Denon is, my Modwright Pre/Belles Amp combo is much more "musical" for serious listening, so I'll definitely still try some hidden bass traps behind my audio rack and cabinet.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis