G

Gatorchong

Audioholic
So I went to the local thrift store the other day and I came acoss some A/D/S loudspeakers, they look like they were made in the eighties. They were a little beat up but the drivers looked fine and the cabinets weren't too bad. I bought the matching pair for $10. I took them home, cleaned them up and listened to them. In my living room I've got 6 JBL S38's hooked up to a Yamaha receiver and I just use the right and left channel when I listen to music. I hooked these $10 speakers up to the left and right channels and I'll be damned if they don't sound 10 times better than the JBL's. After spending a few days listening to them when I get home from work, I'm now convinced that they're actually that good. I also have some Monitor Audio's that cost me a decent amount of money, and these A/D/S loudspeakers easily give them a run for their money. I'm now bidding on some more on ebay that look to be in better shape. If you haven't heard these speakers, you should definitely give them a try if you can get your hands on a pair. I'd heard of the company but I'd never actually heard any of their products. I was very surprised with how great these speakers sound after proably sitting in somebody's garage for 8 years.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
A/D/S are superb. I used them in car audio before I got into MB Quart.

What a deal!

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
I bought my dad some ADS bookshelf speakers years ago. Nice, clean sounding speakers. Great find. They should last for years.

S

SQ Kid

Audioholic Intern
a/d/s has been known for spectacular car audio products. good to see you enjoyed their home products

S

stiletto pat

Audioholic
ADS Speakers

I used to sell ADS products back in the late 70s early 80s, and IMHO, they were one of the absolute best speaker lines offered during that time frame. Their silk dome tweeters and mids were exceptionally clean and accurate, and their bass was tight and controlled. Complement their bookshelf speakers with a great sub, and you were the proud owner of quite a system. To this day, I still own a pair of L630s, which after having new air suspension foam on the woofers, still sound great. One of my buddies still has his L910s, biamped, and is still using them in his new surround set up. They still sound phenominal.

Best of luck with your ADS product.

Pat :cool:

S

steverm

Enthusiast
I have had my L1290's since 1986 and still love them. Unfirtunatly the lack of matching surround and center speakers mean they will have to be replaced.

Z

zman240

Audiophyte
a/d/s speaker box

:confused: i have a set of a/d/s S6.2i speakers for my car. i want to build a speaker box for them and i dont know how big i need to make it so if anyone knows and can help me out that would be great, thanks.

V

vintagedude

Audiophyte
a/d/s/ equipment is great!

I bought my L710-II speakers in 1980 and they still sound as good as they did when they were new. I have no intention of replacing them. a/d/s/ surrounds are butyl rubber and don't degenerate like foam surrounds do. I have seen some fine examples of used (OK, previously owned) a/d/s equipment on e-bay, whether it is speakers, a/d/s Atelier electronics or whatever. I just acquired an a/d/s Model 10 Acoustic Dimention Synthesizer (circa: 1979-80) in working condition and plan to tune it up and add it to my (2-channel) system. The Model 10 re-created the acoustic signature of various ambient environments. It was a/d/s's "next logical step" to 4-channel (Quad) systems of the late '60's-early '70's. When I first heard it demonstrated in 1979, I was really impressed. It's not the same as Dolby surround or THX; it's not supposed to be. Now all I need is two small a/d/s speakers for the side walls. Oh well, back to e-bay.

And to steverm, Boston Acoustics are probably the closest sounding speaker to a/d/s. You don't need to lose your a/d/s quality units because you can't get a same-brand surround system. Experiment a little. And a/d/s is still around, they're just a part of Directed Electronics Inc., of Vista, CA.

M

mceagle

Audiophyte
Thanks for the posts - I too have a/d/s 1290's. I was considering purchasing "matched" speakers since recently upgrading my AV receiver to a Yamaha RX-V2500. I just can't find anything that I like as well in the 2-channel mode, so thanks, vintagedude, for the Boston Acoustics suggestion. Is there a particular model that you can suggest as a starting point?

stevem - Should you choose to get ride of your L1290's, I want 1st shot!

J

john0525

Audiophyte
Pair ADS 1290/2 (series 2) for sale

I have a pair of ADS 1290/2 floor speakers. I am the original owner and am moving. I am willing to consider a reasonable offer for them. I would rate them a 7.5 out of 10 conservatively. I have digital pictures of them if you are interested. They wiegh 73.5 lbs each so you could add 5 lbs to each for shipping purpose. Please let me know if there is any interest. They would ship from Sudbury MA zip=01776.

D

dpod

Audiophyte
A/D/S speakers

I'm an unrecovered audiophile. I have Stereophile class A gear in my home and have spent a small fortune getting there. It began when I was 16 years old and purchased a pair of A/D/S 300c speakers for my car. I put those bad boys in the back of my 1977 Buick Century, powered by a Sony XM amp in my glove box, and I had the best mobile sound around. Guess what? 34 years later, and those pair of speakers have served in multiple tours of duty and and now are the rear center surrounds in a very upscale home theater setup. They still sound great. No worse for the wear. I can't think of any product I've used as much that has survived so much time. I recently bought two additional pairs of the ADS L310s which is essentially the same speaker. I remember being in my teens in the midwest and listening to A/D/S speakers at hifi stores and being blown away by the clarity and speed they portrayed. Led me to ultimately buy Magnaplanars, but my hifi history tethers back to the A/D/S mini bookshelfs that served me first in my Buick. What a great brand, what a great price-value A/D/S offered and still offers. :)

H

Headfoot

Junior Audioholic
ADS Floorstanding

I recently acquired a pair of ADS L1090's. And boy do they sound great! Extremely clear highs and mids, really tight bass. The silk dome and the midrange are just phenomenal. I have the version with the 6 1/2" Braun woofers, so they are the butyl rubber surrounds.
The metal grilles are classy too, although mine is falling off slightly.

I just need to get a new amp, because Im currently just using a lower quality surround amp. The speakers can easily go to 200 watts without a hint of distortion, but my amp sure cant. :D

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
I recently acquired a pair of ADS L1090's. And boy do they sound great! Extremely clear highs and mids, really tight bass. The silk dome and the midrange are just phenomenal. I have the version with the 6 1/2" Braun woofers, so they are the butyl rubber surrounds.
The metal grilles are classy too, although mine is falling off slightly.

I just need to get a new amp, because Im currently just using a lower quality surround amp. The speakers can easily go to 200 watts without a hint of distortion, but my amp sure cant. :D
Congratulations on your new to you L1090's. I've owned a pair before along with four other sets of ADS speakers. Some regard the 1090's the better sounding of the series although the L1590's have amazing bass. Here are links to the ADS reference website I support and another link that has a lot of information on ADS speakers. Enjoy your new speakers.

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
A/D/S speakers are awesome! I remember listening to some of their floor standing models many years ago and was very impressed. I was so pleased with the quality and sound, that I later bought (and still happily use;)) an A/D/S MS3 powered subwoofer. It has served me well for over 10 years, and I have no plans on getting rid of it anytime soon. A/D/S products are excellent!

Seth

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
I've owned a few over the years and liked them very much. It's a classic loudspeaker with a nice midrange and a soft low end. Sometimes, that's just what you looking for.

Mark
Polk Audio CS

J

jaross

Audioholic Intern
I love mine! (thought I would bring this thread back to life)

Probably better for my living room then my B&Ws.

J

john098

Audiophyte
I've been heavy into audio for the last 45 years. I've purchased ADS 710's, 810's, 910's, 1230's, 1530's, 1290's and several of their other models which elude me at this time. Wonderful speakers for the price. Still trying different equipment.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis