A couple questions: I can't 'search' anymore..

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
OK.. I have a decent pair of Senn in ear phones that I enjoy among a few others.. blah blah. My audio pro buddy says I need to listen to his "older" cans.. They are some Ultrasone ultra-comfy ultra awesome something or others I think I need. Do I? I've never owned a great pair of cans.. I've dropped some cash on in ear, but I really enjoyed his. I'm ready. For the fun of it, lets say the budget is 200. but really maybe 5. I remember a pair of Sony's a while back getting some real praise. What would you buy and why? Bang for buck is important unless the buck brings a real upgrade.

ALSO- as for a headphone amp- I have an older Yammy receiver- (pre digital) that handles analog stuff well- top of the line in its day.. Why not just use the the headphone out on it?

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
Ultrasone are overpriced - at any level.
For under 200$ you can have a good pair of Sennheiser or ATH M50. And these cans also measure well.
IF you have 500$ to spend Sennheiser 650 comes to mind - very very good.
Beyer dt880 is also a very good can - 32/250/600 ohms - I'd get the 32 ohm ones to drive them with an iphone/ipod/iwhatever.

As for amp - it only makes sense if you get the Senn 650 - otherwise try getting something you can drive from an ipod.
Don't listen to all the hype around head amps - the ipod is king (this is coming from somebody who owns a Benchmark hdr).
Or - buy a cheap amp :)

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I spend way too much on my headphones, but they Etymotics Research ER-4p are great for voicing speakers with.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis