85 inch or similar TV for a bright living room.....

H

hextall27

Audioholic
Saw the new 77inch LG C2, absolutely stunning picture, very thin TV and light. The salesman asked where it would be placed, told him and he suggested the Samsung NEO QLED 85QN90B, the difference in cost was roughly $300. I then asked how much the 83in version was....$4999.....:eek: Cost put that question to bed. Now trying to decide. Might end up getting a new Blue Ray player but as it is right now, just for movies and sports.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My vote: get the BIGGEST size screen you can get for your main system. :D

My main system has a 150” screen. But my other secondary systems only have 65” TVs. :D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I decided to get a 85" Samsung for my bright family room environment. I have a projector in the basement. I must say that I don't think the 77" was available (or affordable) when I went to the 85" TV. I moved from a not as bright plasma to the LCD, and it was certainly a tradeoff.

If you've done your homework, then you know that there is a tradeoff. You don't just get more size, you get more brightness. FAR more brightness! This is horrible on the black floor, but phenomenal for daytime viewing in a bright room. When we watch at night, we used to always keep the lights off, but now we usually have some lights on. The image isn't great at night. Well, at least the black levels aren't what we got from our prior plasma. So, I know OLED would be a significant improvement in that regard. But, the brightness and size have been quite enjoyable for the five+ years (or so) that we have had it.

Yes, the 83" OLED is in a different price class, for some reason, than their 77" model. Not worth it for 6 inches.
The 85" is worth it and looks great, but won't give you those amazing inky blacks. It will destroy on brightness though.

If you have reflections and windows behind the seating position, I would definitely go with the 85" LCD. If it is just light from the sides, it would make it a much more difficult decision.

Nobody really can decide for you.

H

hextall27

Audioholic
After much consideration, I went with the LG C2 77 in. I think since the light is only coming in from the sides and not directly it'll be fine. I was blown away by how thin and light the tv is. Delivery is saturday. Thanks for the help!!!

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I just bought the 85" Sony because my other main TV died. Loving the size and brightness.
There are better TV's for specs and performance. But this thing is awesome and was at the right price for me.
I had a 70" and the difference between 70" and 85" is far greater than I would have guessed.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
After much consideration, I went with the LG C2 77 in. I think since the light is only coming in from the sides and not directly it'll be fine. I was blown away by how thin and light the tv is. Delivery is saturday. Thanks for the help!!!
Dude... It's October...
We need some follow up on your experience with the C2 OLED!!!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
C2 just won some award for best display on the market. I think the Sony QD-OLED is getting some buzz now too.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I just bought the 85" Sony because my other main TV died. Loving the size and brightness.
There are better TV's for specs and performance. But this thing is awesome and was at the right price for me.
I had a 70" and the difference between 70" and 85" is far greater than I would have guessed.
Which Sony did you get? I'm not really in the market right now, but I'm always interested in people's experiences with different TVs.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
My vote: get the BIGGEST size screen you can get for your main system. :D

My main system has a 150” screen. But my other secondary systems only have 65” TVs. :D
"Only 65 inch TVs? I bet that makes people with 65 TVs feel great, LOL. Not everybody needs or WANTS 150 inch screens or 10 or 12 or 15 subwoofers. ":D"

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis