802.11n IC Shipments to Top 90 Million Worldwide by 2007

<P><FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>In the ever intriguing battle of next-generation high-speed wireless formats, who will win? We're trying to stay on top of the race since we feel that many of these technologies will finally enable wireless high-fidelity audio to be transmitted from room to room. While the transmission of low-bandwidth information such as MP3s through the air is already occurring, we'd like to see uncompressed full-bandwidth audio or even high definition video one day make the jump to ether. The Diffusion Group seems to have an opinion on these things, and while we're not quick to jump on anyone's bandwagon, we thought we'd let you take a look at their opinion that 802.11n will steal the show by 2007.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>[Read the Article]</FONT></P>

Last edited by a moderator:
HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
wireless woes...

I have wireless at my house, I have wireless in the company that I work for. Can anyone say 'best effort' technology?

My experience so far with 802.11b/g has been not very good. Interference, poor security mechanims, ease of use, interopability, etc. will definitely put a damper on adoption in the home and enterprise environments.

Those who are early adopters are paying a premium on products/features that are obsolete almost as fast as they are released. There are new protocols and standards popping up faster than you swat a mesquitoe! Don't even get me going on Vendor support which is atrocious! From what I have seen there is about a 2 year lag on new technology release and acceptable vendor support.

Don't believe me? go to any wireless vendor site and pick a product and read the spec sheets...you'll see about two dozens acronyms...at least!

Whenever possible, I will always pick a 'wired solution' over wireless any day of the week.

IMO, it will take another 3-5 yrs before wireless products become mature enough to be serious replacement over wired solutions.

Good Luck,

Last edited:
Y

Yup

Enthusiast
As someone that has to deal with this kind of stuff to make a living, here's my $0.02. In very short:

"Take it with a grain of salt the size of a rock"

In more detail:
No technology is perfect. Unless you have very specific reasons, wait until it matures and all warts start to show up (despite what you hear very, very few are able to foresee even a moderate nr of problems beforehand). Test it, see if solves more of your "problems" than it causes.

Case in point: I run for quite a few years 802.11b. Does it cause interference ? Yeap. Security problems ? Yes, but they can be handled, albeit with headeaches. Does my neighboring WLAN ocasionally conflicts the local one ? You bet. Do I think it's useful ? Yessir. Do I think a future 802.11<gee_whiz_bang> will solve all the problems and bring world peace ? Yeah righty...

You can get an 802.11g card and router combo for like $40-50 if you shop well... hardly a mammoth investment for the home or office. I have found it to be remarkably effective, though you need to be aware that once you go wireless security is always an issue.

The whole point about 802.x is that it is consistently backwards-compatible - a great thing to have in the marketplace. Right now I have a laptop with 802.11b and one with 802.11g - both connect up to a wireless router that is made by a different manufacturer than both of their wireless cards.

This stuff is great and I look forward to additional progress, bandwidth and options.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis