P

porl

Audiophyte
hi,
i am interested in a new set of floor standers and have got all my research down to either Dynaudio or Vonschweikert. i have read good reviews on the VR2's but have a problem as to their is only one dealer in my country (Germany) and i am still awaiting his reply. My tastes are from Soulfly to Portishead toTool. i want that 'you are there" feel when i listen.
cheers, Porl

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I would love to respond. But, like many others, don't have experience with the formentioned brands. :confused:

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
zumbo said:
I would love to respond. But, like many others, don't have experience with the formentioned brands. :confused:
You mean, like ALL of us!

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
Trying asking this over at audiogon.com you'll find more people experienced with these brands there.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
I gotta head out, so I gotta make it quick:

Dynaudio is fantastic. They have a very nuetral sound to them (which, in my opinion, is the right way to do it). They also make studio monitors of quality, and that shows in their consumer line. They make their own drivers, and they can be found in many other high end speaker manufacturers speakers.

Give 'em a listen. I think you'll really like them.

They blow away all kinds of junk that's twice their price in terms of sound quality.

See my signature for what I got.

Oh, and Portishead rocks. ;)

-Chad

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
Tough call, I'd go with the Dyns. I haven't heard the se, but the 72s are great. I'm not to into the rear firing tweeters, I just turn it off.

L

Lagger

Audioholic Intern
Tough decision. The VR2 has been out for some time and you can read the reviews on them, while the 72se is relativly new. You should auition both and see what suits you. From what I've read, the VR2 has a bit of a 'forward' midrange while the 72se midrange will be recessed, laid back and seductive due to the Contour drivers. Both should have tight, punchy (not boomy) bass. The VR2 could cause listener fatigue due to it's 'forwardness', although it gives you more adjustability options in terms of Bi-wiring, a rear-firing tweeter, and the addition of sand/lead shot. My concern with the 72se is it could result in a similiar situation to the 52se, the drivers not being designed for the enclosure. Although with a larger enclosure like the 72, I'm sure it will be more forgiving. My preferenece is the Dynaudio's. They drivers are so bithin that they'll stay neutral and wont compress for as much power as you can feed them. The VR2's wont. Peace_

S

sschen

Enthusiast
cbraver said:
I gotta head out, so I gotta make it quick:

Dynaudio is fantastic. They have a very nuetral sound to them (which, in my opinion, is the right way to do it). They also make studio monitors of quality, and that shows in their consumer line. They make their own drivers, and they can be found in many other high end speaker manufacturers speakers.

Give 'em a listen. I think you'll really like them.

They blow away all kinds of junk that's twice their price in terms of sound quality.

See my signature for what I got.

Oh, and Portishead rocks. ;)

-Chad
I want to second Chad's comments above. I ran a pair of Dyn Audience 82 through the same Denon receiver that Chad uses and the Dyns are fantastic for both movies and music. I probably would have gone for the Dyn 72SE instead of the 82, the Dyn 72SE was not released yet when I bought my Dyn 82 last July. According to the dealer, the Dyn 72SE has better midrange whereas the 82 has better bass response (it has an additional bass driver). I prefer better midrange than better bass response, just a personal preference since I do not listen to heavy rock music. It is great for movies though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis