7 Tornados ripped through the Ottawa region

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm a couple of weeks late posting this but two Friday's ago, 7 twisters touched down in the span of an hour ranging from F1 to F3. We always got a lot of severe thunderstorm warnings but I never thought that 7 twisters would touch down. My area was thankfully not touched. Power was out in my area for 24 hours.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I'm a couple of weeks late posting this but two Friday's ago, 7 twisters touched down in the span of an hour ranging from F1 to F3. We always got a lot of severe thunderstorm warnings but I never thought that 7 twisters would touch down. My area was thankfully not touched. Power was out in my area for 24 hours.
Expect more, whether people want to recognize it or not it's called climate change.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
We get them all the time every summer in Saskatchewan. Of course, the nation's media live in Ontario, so it gets mostly ignored. Happens once in Ottawa, all of a sudden it's a national crisis.

Not trying to make light of it ... tornadoes are a serious business no matter where they make contact with the ground, but not sure why this particular instance should be national news when if it happened in the West, it wouldn't warrant a back paragraph in the national media.

As for Climate Change, I dislike the phrase, it's almost a politically correct way of avoiding the "proper" description of future climate trends. The climate is always and always has changed over time ... most extreme weather records still hold from the early and mid 20th century.

Global Warming is different, in that it's a measurable and predictable. But it also is by definition not local, so it is incorrect to suggest that it means (for example) more extreme weather for any one region. Canada has always experienced tornadoes, and Canada's deadliest happened in 1905.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
We get them all the time every summer in Saskatchewan. Of course, the nation's media live in Ontario, so it gets mostly ignored. Happens once in Ottawa, all of a sudden it's a national crisis. .
We get tornados or I should say Gatineau/Hull across the river from Ottawa gets one on average, every 5 years or so. Ottawa has never seen one in many a year and suddenly 7 rip thru in the span of an hour. Population density of Saskatchewan is far lower than it is in Ontario so the potential for loss of life is far higher.

Not trying to make light of it ... tornadoes are a serious business no matter where they make contact with the ground, but not sure why this particular instance should be national news when if it happened in the West, it wouldn't warrant a back paragraph in the national media.
Agreed if the tornado hits a wheat field but if there is loss of life, we hear about it on the National.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
We get them all the time every summer in Saskatchewan. Of course, the nation's media live in Ontario, so it gets mostly ignored. Happens once in Ottawa, all of a sudden it's a national crisis.

As for Climate Change, I dislike the phrase, it's almost a politically correct way of avoiding the "proper" description of future climate trends. The climate is always and always has changed over time ... most extreme weather records still hold from the early and mid 20th century.

Global Warming is different, in that it's a measurable and predictable. But it also is by definition not local, so it is incorrect to suggest that it means (for example) more extreme weather for any one region. Canada has always experienced tornadoes, and Canada's deadliest happened in 1905.
My understanding is that they stopped calling it global warming and started calling it climate change, because there are small areas of the globe that may be getting cooler, although overall, the globe is warming up. I may be wrong though...

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
That's because there isn't much in Saskatchewan for a tornado to hit.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
My understanding is that they stopped calling it global warming and started calling it climate change, because there are small areas of the globe that may be getting cooler, although overall, the globe is warming up. I may be wrong though...
My understanding is that It's more complex than that. One example is that warming is expected to have a big impact on ocean currents, which in turn is predicted to change rainfall patterns around the equator, yield warmer summers and colder winters in Europe, and increase hurricane risk along the East Coast as more warm water builds up instead of moving along.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
My understanding is that It's more complex than that. One example is that warming is expected to have a big impact on ocean currents, which in turn is predicted to change rainfall patterns around the equator, yield warmer summers and colder winters in Europe, and increase hurricane risk along the East Coast as more warm water builds up instead of moving along.
Yep, no argument with that. I just put it in a nutshell. Still, I believe the name change was mainly for political reasons. Deniers would cherry pick a single colder winter or cooler summer in a specific area of the globe and point to it as evidence that global warming is BS.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yep, no argument with that. I just put it in a nutshell. Still, I believe the name change was mainly for political reasons. Deniers would cherry pick a single colder winter or cooler summer in a specific area of the globe and point to it as evidence that global warming is BS.
Yeah like certain dopey Washington politicians when it snows will put a sign out saying is this global warming. Short sighted morons. Oh it's snowing so there is no such thing as global warming.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
We get tornados or I should say Gatineau/Hull across the river from Ottawa gets one on average, every 5 years or so. Ottawa has never seen one in many a year and suddenly 7 rip thru in the span of an hour. Population density of Saskatchewan is far lower than it is in Ontario so the potential for loss of life is far higher.

Agreed if the tornado hits a wheat field but if there is loss of life, we hear about it on the National.
We've had them touch down in the city, no injuries, but no national news coverage either.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
You are actually a reader of the Saskatchewan Local News page of the CBC news site? You are not reading those stories for the first time after a search? I congratulate you, since CBC geo-locates you to the local site, so you would have to take an extra step to reach those stories. If that is you habit, good for you.

Where are these stories in the Ontario / National pages? The Ottawa tornadoes are featured on each local news feed plus the National feeds. That is my point.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
You are actually a reader of the Saskatchewan Local News page of the CBC news site? Where are these stories in the Ontario / National pages?
Were you aware that NB was hit a tornado a few years back? Did you see that on the news in Saskatchewan?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Nobody cares what goes on in Saskatchewan, not EVEN other Canadians.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Were you aware that NB was hit a tornado a few years back? Did you see that on the news in Saskatchewan?
If you read / viewed it in Ottawa, we did it in Saskatchewan. And they read / viewed about the Ottawa tornadoes in New Brunswick local feed. That's why they call it National News.

The point. which you seem determined to refute, is that the media in Canada are concentrated in Toronto and Ottawa (if you're English speaking) and if a needle drops in those two places, it goes to the National news wire. How many murders so far in Toronto this year? I read the number this morning in my local news. 87. I see a story about every Ontario auto fatality. Even news from Vancouver or Calgary has a hard time penetrating into the Ontario news feeds. It does not work the other way. That is my point.

I am not complaining that I know about the Ottawa tornaodoes. That is news and I want to read and view it. I just wish the media walled garden didn't exist around Ontario and it's annoying that trivial local stories are in the National News feed if they originate where the journalists of this nation happen to rent their condos, and may as well happen on Mars if they happen elsewhere in the nation. There were 8 supercell tornadoes over 24 hours on July 18. Do you think the local in New Brunswick who knows about the NB tornado you refernced, also knows of the SK 8 and the Ottawa 7, or just the Ottawa 7?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis