R

Rene Sonse

Audiophyte
I have older Energy Take 5 speakers in a 5.1 system that I'm condidering upgrading to a 7.1 system powered by a new Yamaha RX-V6A and Klipsch R-12SW. Based on Gene's review of the Dayton Audio MX-442's, I'm considering using them at least for the front 3. The question is whether or not to use them for the rears as well and use the existing Energy rears for the sides or if I wouldn't notice much of a difference, just use the 442's for the front 3 and Energy for the rear & sides.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
As long as your front 3 match, mixing surrounds isn't a big deal. How big is your room? In most cases going from 5.1 to 7.1 isn't going to be a big difference.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
One important thing about the MK442s is that they have a fairly narrow vertical dispersion so if you are going to use them as the front three, make sure the tweeter is aimed at your ears. You will really want the tweeter to be level with your ear height at your listening position. They are not hugely sensitive, so if you want to blow your windows out with heavy metal music, they aren't a great choice. However, if you are more interested in a decent level of fidelity at moderate listening levels for a low price, they are a great choice.

R

Rene Sonse

Audiophyte
One important thing about the MK442s is that they have a fairly narrow vertical dispersion so if you are going to use them as the front three, make sure the tweeter is aimed at your ears. You will really want the tweeter to be level with your ear height at your listening position. They are not hugely sensitive, so if you want to blow your windows out with heavy metal music, they aren't a great choice. However, if you are more interested in a decent level of fidelity at moderate listening levels for a low price, they are a great choice.
The use is almost all TV at a moderate level in an average apartment living room. The only thing unusual is having 12' ceilings. I would have them set so the tweeters are at ear level. I see I posted in correctly in that I already have a 7.1 and if I get the 442's, it will be 7.1.2. It's not that I'm big on Atmos, it's just that I'll have two speakers left over and thought it would be good to take advantage of my high ceiling.

The main question I have is whether it is worth it to replace the Energy rears with 442's. All the speakers work fine for what they are. I'm hoping to get better front sound, especially with the front speaker which is usually very hard to make out dialog and since I would be getting speakers shipped anyway, is it worth it to spend another $125 for new rears.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Keep in mind that the Yamaha RX-V6A is a seven channel receiver. So, you can do 7.1 or 5.1.2. It has it’s own virtual surround back speaker feature if you go with two ceiling speakers in a 5.1.2 setup. The Yamaha does get warm pushing 4 ohm speakers like the Daytons. I’ve pushed five of them with the Yamaha, but not seven.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The use is almost all TV at a moderate level in an average apartment living room. The only thing unusual is having 12' ceilings. I would have them set so the tweeters are at ear level. I see I posted in correctly in that I already have a 7.1 and if I get the 442's, it will be 7.1.2. It's not that I'm big on Atmos, it's just that I'll have two speakers left over and thought it would be good to take advantage of my high ceiling.

The main question I have is whether it is worth it to replace the Energy rears with 442's. All the speakers work fine for what they are. I'm hoping to get better front sound, especially with the front speaker which is usually very hard to make out dialog and since I would be getting speakers shipped anyway, is it worth it to spend another $125 for new rears.
I think that the MK402's would be better as rear speakers, but to be honest your Energy speakers are probably sufficient for rear surround duty, so I would just use those, and if you feel they are lacking, you can always upgrade later.

R

Rene Sonse

Audiophyte
Keep in mind that the Yamaha RX-V6A is a seven channel receiver. So, you can do 7.1 or 5.1.2. It has it’s own virtual surround back speaker feature if you go with two ceiling speakers in a 5.1.2 setup. The Yamaha does get warm pushing 4 ohm speakers like the Daytons. I’ve pushed five of them with the Yamaha, but not seven.
Thanks. I'm taking shadyJ's advice and just use the 442's for the front 3 so there shouldn't be a heating problem.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis