7.1 Speakers without an AV Receiver

KevP

KevP

Audiophyte
Hi all,
I currently have a 7.1 speaker system (Cambridge Audio Minx X301 Sub + Tannoy SFX Surrounds) connected to my Pioneer AV receiver.
In the past I had various components (DVD, HD Recorder, etc) connected to the AV Receiver.
Now because everything is streamed or stored on my network the only thing connected to the AV Receiver is the 7.1 speaker system.

I am trying to find a solution to connect the 7.1 speaker system direct to my Panasonic 50CX680 Series TV Thus making the AV receiver and the now almost empty cabinet that houses it redundant.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks,

Kev

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What's going to decide the audio codecs? Obviously you have more than Speakers connected to the system lol. I doubt there will be a solution available to you. The AVR is a requirement for what your setup.

KevP

KevP

Audiophyte
Hi Everett,
Yes I know, I guess what I was asking is if there is some small "black box" out there that could replace the "oversize" AVR?

Kev

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Kev, if you’re looking for a smaller avr, check out marantz, slimline. Might be what you need.

KevP

KevP

Audiophyte
Hi William,
The Marantz slim line is about half the size of my Pioneer - so it's heading in the right direction, however I was looking for something much smaller.

Kev

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey kev, not sure you’ll be able to find anything smaller to fit your needs. Hope you can. I just don’t know what it would be.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
You are up against DRM. A TV does not have an HDMI out and is not allowed to I don't believe. SPDIF optical and Coax does not have the bandwidth for loss less audio codecs.

I Your only possible solution is to DIY an HTPC as a receiver replacement. Combining software from JR River and a home theater program that has the audio codecs would be a potential solution. That would take a lot of chops though. Others have done it.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Hi all,
I currently have a 7.1 speaker system (Cambridge Audio Minx X301 Sub + Tannoy SFX Surrounds) connected to my Pioneer AV receiver.

I am trying to find a solution to connect the 7.1 speaker system direct to my Panasonic 50CX680 Series TV Thus making the AV receiver and the now almost empty cabinet that houses it redundant.
Others above have already told you about the decoding those audio codecs needed to go from digital to 7.1 analog audio. An AVR is the simplest way to get that.

But an AVR also provides the amplification power that drives audio speakers. That's the main reason why that AVR is so big. For this, the only alternatives to an AVR are separate external amplifiers which tend to be more expensive, or active (self-powered) speakers where the speaker cabinet comes with an internal power amplifier. These require an electric power receptacle nearby each speaker. And you would still need some method of decoding the digital signal and converting it to analog.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The OP has no practical way of dispensing with his receiver. He needs a pre/pro or avant garde HTPC.
If he wants to avoid the foot print of power amps, then he needs active or powered speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think you should just leave it as is, you have a decent solution to your needs now; I don't think overall you're going to do much better by changing out for size of box.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Why not perhaps, a 'built-in' wall solution. If the cabinet you are talking about taking up floor space is the issue?

KevP

KevP

Audiophyte
Hi,
I thought the solution might be simple - apparently not!
It's just the 5 shelf cabinet that used to be full of kit now only holds the AVR and the AVR is only used to drive the speakers.
Just seems like a bit of an overkill to me.

Kev

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi,
It's just the 5 shelf cabinet that used to be full of kit now only holds the AVR and the AVR is only used to drive the speakers.

Kev
If you bought 7 power amplifiers to power those speakers, it would take up much more space than the receiver and you still need decoding, volume control and more.

So, actually the receiver is the small black box you are talking about.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi,

Kev
Your option is to fill it back up with more boxes :) "Only" used to drive the speakers....just sounds funny, as if that is so trivial to run 7 speakers and a sub. o_O

KevP

KevP

Audiophyte
Hi TLS,
Yes - but my "small black box" is 459mm x 420mm x 187mm!!

And Lovin,
I would love to fill the shelves again - that might be the "next Best Thing" when streaming becomes old hat!!

So, looks like I'll just keep everything as it is :confused:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis