7.1 speaker location and setup

T

theguy

Enthusiast
MY room is 17' X 12'. I am setting it up longwise. The couch will put us about 11 feet from the front of the TV and the front speakers.

I presume that I will put the surrounds just slightly behind the listioning position on the couch. However, this will have me put the rear surrounds only about 2.5' - 3' behind the couch, and possibly up at the ceiling pointing down (but I can do something else and put them at the correct height).

Is the room setup too small for 7.1? I can also go to 6.1 instead. Still, the rear speaker will be fairly close to the couch (especially in relation to the front speakers). The surrounds are also about 4 feet to the primary listioning position.

Next, if I am listioning to a pure 5.1 DTS source (for example). I do not want it to be matrixed into 6.1 or 7.1. Can most new receivers easily give me the original discrete format without lots of work on my part?

Similarly, if it is 6.1, then I want pure 6.1.

I don't think that I want to take a discrete 5.1 source and have the rear speaker(s) duplicating the surround channels since I think it will muddy the directionality.

I am currently considering the Denon 3805 and the NAD T773 for this room.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis