7.1 Pre-Pro / Receivers

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
The sound card on my HTPC-laptop isn't that great. it only does 5.1.
The HDMI only does PCM Stereo.

Are there any 7.1 Receivers or Pre-Pro that have USB connections that I can plug my laptop into it, by-passing the sound card all together?

I have seen a bunch of stereo USB Pre-Pro/amps...but not any 7.1.
I suspect that it also might cost more than what it's worth, and it would be a better investment to drop $300-$500 for a new HTPC-Laptop....but then again, it could get me into the world of separates.

Thanks.

Reorx.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The sound card on my HTPC-laptop isn't that great. it only does 5.1.
The HDMI only does PCM Stereo.

Are there any 7.1 Receivers or Pre-Pro that have USB connections that I can plug my laptop into it, by-passing the sound card all together?

I have seen a bunch of stereo USB Pre-Pro/amps...but not any 7.1.
I suspect that it also might cost more than what it's worth, and it would be a better investment to drop $300-$500 for a new HTPC-Laptop....but then again, it could get me into the world of separates.

Thanks.

Reorx.
Some laptops have digital out for bit streaming. I am not aware any 7.1 prepro that has Asynchronous USB input, not even the $8,000 Denon AVP-A1HDC1.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Outlaw reciever has usb in, but its only 2.1.
If I were you, id get usb sound card capable of 7.1

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

I suspect that it also might cost more than what it's worth, and it would be a better investment to drop $300-$500 for a new HTPC-Laptop.
What for? You can get a good outboard USB soundcard for ~$100, if not less.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
I tried a ASUS Xonar U7 Sound Card, and it introduced a crazy amount of hum through all my speakers. I played the cable replacing game, and ran an power extension cord to another circuit, but couldn't get it to go away. I also tried a newer receiver. I have a 5.1 ext. sound card that I have connected the same way, with no hum. so I am confident that it was the card.

Do you have a recommendation of a 7.1 sound card? With Amazon's return policy, I can give it another go, and return it if it doesn't work.

Thanks.

J

JMJVK

Audioholic
As far as I know, most PC software players will only deliver a transcoded PCM bitstream. Pure bitstream is not common in software players. Something to do with DRM and licensing, I think... Anyway... A friend of mine is using JRiver to bitstream to his receiver. Works well, but it took some digging to make it work. As fas as I know, Arcsoft's Total Media Theater also does this, but I can't vouch for that, as I don't use it.

I know this is probably not what you wanted or expected, but it is a software issue for PC bitstream output, and not a sound card issue (Bitstreaming means bypassing it, and sending signal to receiver/pre/pro). Get new software, or a decent, wired network hardware player and avoid using DLNA gear like the ROKUs of this world (DLNA = Downsampling and transcoding to lossy formats).

I'm using VLC and Foobar2000 when using my computer, so I'm also in the PCM boat when using my PC, but I prefer to use my Oppo bdp-103 or WD TV Live Hub Media Center 1TB. These two devices allow me to playback network-stored files without problems.

I use the Oppo to playback just about everything from DVD-A and SACDs to downloaded and locally stored youtube files. I use the WD for the few formats the Oppo doesn't support (ISO being the elephant in that room).

The WD unit referred to here is no longer sold, but the HD-less model is still produced and sold, and has a decent networking file share server, and supports 2 TB portable USB hard drives and wired networking.

Hope this helps.

Edited for better clarity.

Last edited:
selden

selden

Audioholic
FWIW, Pioneer's flagship SC-89 AVR includes a USB DAC input, but it only supports 2.0 for high resolution audio, just like most standalone USB DACs.

In general, an HDMI connection provides more functionality, supporting lossless high-resolution surround sound.

Network (DLNA) connections also support a variety of lossless high-resolution surround sound formats, The exact formats they support depends on the AVR.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
What are the specs of your laptop and what operating system?

G

gary walker

Audiophyte
I added a Marantz 7701 pre/pro rcently It has a network USB input but I've only used mine for internet radio. So far I'm very pleased with the performance. You can get some very good prices on this unit right now. If i'd waited another month, I could have saved $500.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I added a Marantz 7701 pre/pro rcently It has a network USB input but I've only used mine for internet radio. So far I'm very pleased with the performance. You can get some very good prices on this unit right now. If i'd waited another month, I could have saved $500.
Marantz 7701's - "iPod® / iPhone® / iPad® compatible USB input on front panel"
It's not same thing what OP was asking for.

LocutusEstBorg

LocutusEstBorg

Audiophyte
AFAIK the Emotiva XMC-1 is the only existing receiver in the world with 7.1 digital input over USB.

If your goal is to perform room correction, there are several options:
  1. USB -> XMC-1 (Dirac Live) -> Amplifier
  2. HDMI -> AVR (Audyssey)
  3. Dirac Live for PC -> 7.1 Analog Sound Card -> Amplifier / AVR with 7.1 analog input like a Marantz
Note that you cannot perform any DSP such as room correction when using the 7.1 analog inputs on most AVRs.

I use the last method myself. I have a Sound Blaster Zx. I had bad noise for a while and solved it by using higher quality shielded 3.5mm -> RCA cables. The cheap cables were picking up interference. A secondary source of noise was also having a HDMI cable hooked up between the PC and a common monitor with the AVR. Removing this PC -> Monitor <- AVR HDMI loop eliminated the noise.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis