$6,500 7.x Channel Recommended Home Theater System

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Audioholics $6,500 recommended home theater is a bit different from some of our other systems. This time, we wanted to build a setup where attention to aesthetics went beyond the usual "well...it's not THAT ugly." Needless to say, there are no towers in this system, nor is our first choice of subwoofer a ported, refrigerator sized behemoth. Does that mean performance went out the window? Not at all. Interested to see our component choices? Click to keep reading.

Read our $6,500 Recommended Home Theater System

Do you own the speakers in our system? Share your experiences here.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Interesting. For a space-conscious sub in that ball-park, I would've thought the JL Audio E-sub would've been the first recommendation. It certainly measures better (JL e112 vs. ML Dynamo 1500x). The difference in price could be made up by opting for the Denon AVR-X4000 instead of the Yamaha.

N

nickboros

Audioholic
I find the Definitive Technology speakers to be an interesting first suggestion because they seem to be designed as studio monitors. A home theater setting would likely be very different than a studio in terms of how close you are sitting to the speakers. What was even more interesting (strange) is that most reviews, including the one at Audioholics, don't seem to mention that that they are designed for a studio application and they are just reviewed as home theater speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
7.1 system. $6.5K MSRP (street prices much lower). My take.

RBH SX-61 x 7 = $4,200 MSRP
RBH SX-1010N = $1200 MSRP
Denon X3000 = $900
Panasonic BD91 = $100
Monoprice cables = $100
Total MSRP = $6,500. Again, street prices are much lower.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
7.1 system. $6.5K MSRP (street prices much lower). My take.

RBH SX-61 x 7 = $4,200 MSRP
RBH SX-1010N = $1200 MSRP
Denon X3000 = $900
Panasonic BD91 = $100
Monoprice cables = $100
Total MSRP = $6,500. Again, street prices are much lower.
And no amp to power the non-powered sub :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I find the Definitive Technology speakers to be an interesting first suggestion because they seem to be designed as studio monitors. A home theater setting would likely be very different than a studio in terms of how close you are sitting to the speakers. What was even more interesting (strange) is that most reviews, including the one at Audioholics, don't seem to mention that that they are designed for a studio application and they are just reviewed as home theater speakers.
Just b/c the have the name "Studio" in their name doesn't mean they were designed to be a nearfield monitor. They work just fine in a home theater or two-channel farfield environment. In fact, you wouldn't want to use an MTM in a nearfield environment in the first place so it's better to be sitting at least a couple of meters away from them.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And no amp to power the non-powered sub :)
Darn, can't even get one passed you? :D

Okay, I was thinking that with street pricing, you could get at least 10% off the $6,500 MSRP. So that's enough for a $350 Dayton SA1000 1000Watt sub amp, which is similar to the older RBH sub amp.

In fact, with street pricing, you could also substitute a pair of SX-61 and get a pair of SX-61/R. ;)

Last edited:
Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
This is really interesting gear selection

Sent from my iPhone 5

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis